Multiple Non-MIDI Pedals and PBC Expression

George

Morning Ron!

Hope Sheri is enjoying her new(ish) blue Tesla, so much fun giving it to her!...but hey to the matter at hand...I'm struggling to resolve an expression control issue; my MIDI enabled pedals no problem (e.g. H9's and Strymons). However I, and most likely other members here, have multiple non-midi pedals w/ 1/4" expression inputs I'd like to manipulate with my PBC's 6X and PBC 10 (e.g. JHS Unicorn, EHX Lester G/Ravish etc). Based on what I can tell my take is "no" that the PBC's cant manipulate multiple non MIDI expression pedals. I mean I'm assuming that I haven't missed the boat entirely

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'll slink back to the workbench in a totally and publicly embarrassed state of being (sepuku comes to mind), but for the life of me (Ha! that's rich considering my last statement) I cant find anything like the Mission Engineering Expressionator that is MIDI enabled and specific to Expression applications. Ideas? or shame and hara kiri pending?

I believe I've come up with one option. However it's not immediately desirable as it would require adding a separate and different controller platform that would need to be MIDI controlled by the PBC. I'd sooner avoid that solution. I'll hold off discussing that option with you until you've had a chance to reply. Actually I just thought of another, but I'll have to reach out to Grant and Chippo at Goodwood and see if it's even possible (likely not nor cost effective).

Best to you, Sheri and your daughter!
George

Last edited:
Hi George,

You're correct that we don't have any way to control non-MIDI expression inputs. And, unfortunately, I don't know of any box out there that can do it...

Hey Ron,

Well heck. Guess I'll put away the katana, stop redrafting my will, and breathe a sigh of relief that I wasn't a complete idiot by missing some tidbit in the Editor.

I think there's a market for a pedal like this but its "boutique niche" at best. I've emailed Chippo at Goodwood and inquired as to the feasibility of a MIDI modification to the Mission Engineering Expressionator using Oscillator Devices, a pedal mod partner of theirs in Germany. My guess is that with the price of the Expressionator (~300USD), the appropriate card, modification labor, and shipping it's not going to be cost effective. But...I want to know if it can be done. Actually it's all predicated on there being "room" in the pedal housing for the modification and thats the real killer in this situation even if funds weren't at issue. I'll post an update once I hear back.

George

Last edited:
Hey Ron,

Well heck. Guess I'll put away the katana, stop redrafting my will, and breathe a sigh of relief that I wasn't a complete idiot by missing some tidbit in the Editor.

I think there's a market for a pedal like this but its "boutique niche" at best. I've emailed Chippo at Goodwood and inquired as to the feasibility of a MIDI modification to the Mission Engineering Expressionator using Oscillator Devices, a pedal mod partner of theirs in Germany. My guess is that with the price of the Expressionator (~300USD), the appropriate card, modification labor, and shipping it's not going to be cost effective. But...I want to know if it can be done. Actually it's all predicated on there being "room" in the pedal housing for the modification and thats the real killer in this situation even if funds weren't at issue. I'll post an update once I hear back.

George
Hey George,

Any updates on this issue or other solutions you thought of in the last month? I have a Montreal Assembly Count to 5 and an Earthquaker Devices Afterneath that I'd love to be able to control via expression. Any thoughts on using the Source Audio Reflex Expression Controller? It has 3 expression outs. You can have one exp out going to the PBC for all your MIDI pedal needs, and then the other two outs to your individual non-midi enabled pedals. You can use the PBC to send MIDI messages to it too, select presets, turn on/off some of the exp outputs, etc. Seems like this would be a powerful combination!

Back