n00b question from a potential RG-16 owner

Hey all. I have a setup in mind but I just thought I would fish here for some opinions/expereince on if it'll work or not.

Pedals:
Wah
Maxon OD9
MXR Phase 90
Homebrew/made TS808

Amps:
Mesa Multi-Watt Dual Rec (2011 model)
Marshall JVM410H (thinking about switching with a JCM 800)

Effects Processor:
TC Electronic G-Major

Midi Board:
Berhinger FCB1010

Basically I want to know if i can do a multi-amp setup (both amps have their own cabs) I'd like to be able to share the pedals and G-Major between the two amps but I highly doubt that i'd ever need to run both amps at the same time. The diagram shows it's possible if I read it correctly but I'm just checking.

Following the diagram we have on our site, it should work. The usual caveats apply - you might (okay, probably will) get ground loops and will need an isolation transformer, and there may be a challenge getting the effects loop levels to match on the two amps. Once you get past that, it should work fine! You're just going to need some patience when sorting out the problems at first.

For the ground loops, is that where one of those Hum-X or Hum Eliminator devices I've read about come into play? I assume it would go between anything connected to amp #2?

(and thanks for the fast reply :D)

Yes, a hum eliminator would do the job. If/when you get hum, I'd start with isolating the effects return on one amp, then if that's not enough, the effects send on the same amp, and then moving on the cable leading to the input. You can also use cables with the ground lifted on one end instead of a hum eliminator. A Hum-X works well in two amp systems, but it might not be the only thing you need - the shared effects unit will also need to be addressed.

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the one I was looking at. :D

Quick question. Is the Mesa cable compatible with the new 2010-2011 Dual Recs and where do I get one?

Yes, it's compatible with the new Rectos, and will switch the mute on them as well. You can buy from from our website or our dealers (list found on the web site). The cable you want is the RRN (Rectifer / Road King / Nomad).

I just wanted to post saying that I received my RG-16 and am very impressed. No more tap dance. I love it! So easy to use. Thanks for all the advice on here. I suppose my only gripe was paying just over $100 for the cable (after shipping) for the cable to my Mesa. The unit however is high quality and works very well.

Cheers

Back