Need help with a complex rack setup… *LONG POST*

backtorack

First of all, I´m new to that rack stuff, so please bear with me if I ask a few noob questions…
OK, I want to setup a stereo rack system using two heads and a few effects (some of them pre, some post amp). The whole rig will be controlled by a MIDI board (not yet sure which one I need).

It´s kinda hard for me to explain what I want, so the following should be possible:
- the amps are a Bogner Ecstasy Classic and a Soldano SLO100, each connected to their respective 4x12” cab running dry at all times when the respective amp is selected
- I do not want to use an effects loop at all
- I do not want to use the Bogner and Soldano footswitch anymore
- the signals that go to the fx rack will be the Line Out from the Bogner and the Slave out from the Soldano
- the selected channel will of course run dry through its 4x12”, but in addition through a stereo fx rack that allows to switch between:
- mono: compressor (pre amp)
- mono: rack eq (pre amp)
- mono: Yamaha SPX90 (pre amp)
- stereo: chorus using two pedals in series (post amp)
- stereo: Lexicon PCM81 (post amp)
- a mixer should be used to preserve a dry signal at all times (?)
- from the mixer I´m going into a MOSFET poweramp into two cabs. So the above mentioned post amp effects (chorus and PCM81) are running stereo.
- I want the midi controller to be able to switch between SLO crunch, SLO lead (SLO uses a standard ¼ cable to switch channels), Bogner green, Bogner blue, Bogner blue boosted, Bogner red, Bogner red boosted (Bogner uses a custom cable to switch the channels and boosts) in any combination (both would be cool if possible), compressor on/off, EQ on/off, SPX90 on/off, Chorus on/off, PCM81 on/off. In addition, it should be possible to control a few things in the PCM81 using CCs (delay on/off, reverb on/off and so on).
- a volume pedal for silent tuning and controlling long/short delays, reverbs and so on
- a rack tuner will be used, but completely out of the signal chain (tuner out from a Gizmo)
- a Furman power conditioner will be used to power each device

So basically, I will have two amps with two cabs and a stereo rack with two more cabs. The Soldano tones are running through the Soldano 4x12” and the stereo rack, the Bogner tones through the Bogner 4x12 and the stereo rack.

I think I will have to use the Rack Gizmo as I don´t need many loops (comp + eq + spx90 = 3 mono loops, chorus + PCM81 = 2 stereo loops, 5 total). Plus it already has two jacks for amp control and I need one (plus the custom cable) for the XTC. I´ve tried to put down a wiring diagram more than once, but have trouble each time.
This https://www.rjmmusic.com/wiring/RG/RG_4 ... _2Amps.pdf is interesting, but it uses the fx loops.

Questions:
- how do I hook up the whole thing and what do I need?
- which product can be used for an isolation transformer that I will need?
- do I really need a mixer as each amp is already running dry on its own cab when selected?
- which midi controller would you recommend and why?

Anything else I could optimize? Right now, I´m still in the planning stage, so I don´t have the rack equipment yet. Are there any changes necessary?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this and help me. It´s greatly appreciated!

You can use the configuration of the first five loops from the diagram. That will get you started.

The only challenge I see is dealing with feeding the mono slave out of the active amp to the inputs of the stereo effects. You could use loop 6:

In 6: amp 1 slave out
Return 6: amp 2 slave out
Out 6: connect to In 7

Now, send 7 connects to the input(s) of the first stereo effect. (either the mono input of the effect if it has one, or split to both the left and right inputs)
Out 7 connects to In 8
Send 8 connects to the input(s) of the second stereo effect.

The outputs of the effects should go to a line mixer, and the outputs of the line mixer would then go to the stereo power amp.

The line mixer is useful here to help manage the mono inputs and the stereo outputs - the Rack Gizmo can switch the mono signals from the amps, and the stereo outputs of the effects go straight to the mixer, never needing to return to the Rack Gizmo.

There are all sorts of isolation transformers out there, but I'd recommend starting without them, then if you have hum, start replacing connections to/from the amps with cables that have the ground disconnected on one side.

I'm kinda biased about MIDI controllers, spending years designing the Mastermind GT. But for what it's worth, that's what I'd vote for! You won't find a more capable controller.

Thanks a lot for your help! I´ve drawn a very quick diagram, would that be ok?

2m4y74o.jpg

That all looks good, except that you can't use Out 8 to control the Soldano, since the loop is being used to switch audio.

The Ecstasy uses 7 of the 8 switches on the function switching side. With a custom wired cable, you could have the leftover switch (number 4) control the Soldano's channel.

OK, I´ve changed a few things, would that work out? How much is a custom cable to control both amps? Thanks for taking the time to explain this all! ;)

2cmsyo2.jpg

It would have to be two cables, one goes in the Amp 1 jack, one into the Amp 2 jack. You'd need the Ecstasy 101 interface cable ($69 for 10ft / 3m) and a 1x 1/4" interface cable ($49 for 10ft / 3m)

Back