Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to build a rack to house all my pedals and use a Effects Gizmo with a Mastermind.

Pedals:

Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah Pedal
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Mu Tron III
MXR 78' Distortion
MXR Modified Overdrive
MXR Custom Comp
MXR Phase 90
MXR Micro Chorus
MXR Micro Flanger
MXR Micro Amp
Boss OC-3 Octave
Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face
Line 6 DD-3 Delay
TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb

I kno its alot but I need help figuring out what to do with it all. I would also like 2 run two amps together, a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue 40W 1x12" Combo Amp and Peavy Valveking 100W Tube Head, with a 4X12 Cab.

Thanks,

Mike

Here's a diagram that shows 10 pedals into two amps. This is the maximum you can do with an Effect Gizmo, which will not cover all of the pedals you have. Some of the pedals, like the wah and possibly the noise suppressor, are better left out of the loops anyway.

Does it matter which effects go in the loop? Like how order matters on a pedalboard, does the same theroy apply for this setup?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, the order matters, exactly the same as the board. When you make your pedal shelf, the positions of the pedals obviously don't matter, so arrange them in such a way that you can access the knobs on pedals you might adjust, and bury the others on the back of the shelf.

With that sort of pedal rig and a Mastermind you will probably use presets instead of doing instant access for things... watch the video on the site for how to program it... it's very easy. If you end up needing to do IAs and tap tempo, it gets more involved, but it can be done. You may find yourself wanting to do IAs for delay and verb type stuff, but really, you're going to have to try things out before you know what works for you in a live situation. It's going to be trial and error.

If I was to run these 10 pedals:

Mu Tron III
MXR 78' Distortion
MXR Modified Overdrive
MXR Custom Comp
MXR Phase 90
MXR Micro Chorus
MXR Micro Flanger
Boss OC-3 Octave
Fulltone Soul-Bender

What order would you suggest?

Thanks,

Mike

Fuzz,
then Compressors/Filters/ODs/Distortions
then modulation, then delay and verb.

You'd want the HoF in the effects loop of your amp, unless it's a clean amp and you get all of your distortion from your pedals. That would mean loop 9 or after, I think.

So the order I would guess would be something like this:

Fulltone Soul-Bender (this may sound fine, or may not sound right in a loop. You might keep this on a pedalboard with the mastermind. Sometimes people dislike the sound of a fuzz that's got a buffer in the chain. There's also a way to skip the buffer on a loop, I think... I don't do that... I want my fuzz on the board to tweak in realtime... so I can't tell you how to do that stuff, but if it's possible, it's in the manual, and maybe the FAQ)

Mu Tron III
MXR Custom Comp
(You need to try the comp first, and then the Mutron first and see what works for you... if you do a lot of compressor squish, it's hard to work with an envelope filter... if you use light compression for sustain, or don't use the 2 together you, might want the compressor first, or it might not matter)
Boss OC-3 Octave

MXR Modified Overdrive
MXR 78' Distortion

MXR Phase 90
MXR Micro Chorus
MXR Micro Flanger

Thanks man, I really appreciate your help. Im new to the whole rack thing, Ive always had all my pedals on this huge board, and Im just sick of carrying that around.

Thanks,

Mike

No problem. I had a karmic debt to respond anyway, since Ron just answered one of my questions... thought I'd try and save him a couple of minutes of typing. :)

Think of it EXACTLY like your board, except that pedal PLACEMENT doesn't matter... just where you plug each pedal into the back of the EG. It becomes really logical and easy then.

You can run the NS-2 outside a loop, just as you would with your pedal board.

In my current setup (which will probably change - but for different reasons) I wire the NS-2 as follows:

from front input -> NS-2 In
NS-2 send -> loop 1 in
Loop 4 out -> ns-2 return
NS-2 out -> preamp

I then run the fx loop of the preamp to the in of loop 5 and so on.

That means I have the NS-2 working but all loops remain free.

I would presume you could do something similar with the old NG-1 as well. Although that only has in and out, so you would proabably take the "from front" to the "in" and then the "Out" to the "loop 1 input".

Not tried that though.

Either way there aren't many cases when you want to be able to actually switch out a noise gate, so why have it in the loop at all?

Same goes with the tuner, just stick it in the "tuner out" port. You only need to power up the input side of the TU-2.

And things like Wah's I always want independant control of anyway, so I run them ahead of the EG.

Ok so right now my setup is like this:

Guitar > TU3> NS2(input)> Line 6 DL4> HOF reverb> Amp
NS2(send)> Fulltone Soulbender> Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah> Mutron III> OC3 Octave> Custom Comp> 78 Distotion> Modified Overdrive> Micro Amp> Phase 90> Micro Flanger> Micro Chorus> NS2(return)

Basically I want to get most of these pedals into the rack, but I want the wah wah, tuner and micro amp on the pedalboard, and have everything else except for the noise surpressor in the rack. How would this setup work? Do I get a small pedalboard for the mastermind, wah wah, tuner and micro amp and mount a small power supply under it? I want to use the micro amp as a boost for solos, so would I run it after the effects gizmo? Im just not sure how I would wire this setup together.

Thanks,

Mike

Typically people will run a small pedalboard exactly like you describe. You can put the MIcro Amp at the end of the chain, keeping it in an Effect Gizmo loop (like the last one) would allow you to switch it.

That's a tough one - it will sound differently in each position, and any of the positions could be interesting and useful. But, if it was me, I'd start with it right before or right after the phase shifter.

Does anyone have any tips for wiring? I was finally able to sit down yesterday and start, and its alot harder then I expected. Is it normal for my top shelf to kind of dip in the back when I slide the shelf back? Basically Im just wondering if theres a few tips or tricks that someone could offer me.

Thanks,

Mike

Back