New compact pedalboard

MartinCliffe

Been meaning to do this for a while - all part of my new streamlined rig that's in process.

As I'm playing mostly studio and theatre sessions at the moment, there's often not room for my big board (and I don't often need monitors and a mic stand set up). So I looked into the cost of buying a smaller board, but no-one seemed to do one the size I wanted, and even if I did, it'd have cost a fortune. So I went to B&Q (our equivalent of Home Depot, I guess) and bought a black wooden shelf, velcro'd the pedals onto the surface, and attached a couple of handles left over from our new kitchen, and a couple of little steel handles underneath as feet. The whole thing took about an hour to do, and only cost me about $30, and half of that cost was the velcro!

Obviously it's not wired up yet - I'm going to build a custom interface box to link to my modified Pedalsnake (swapped the DIN connectors with XLRs at the Pedalboard end). It's a bit more manageable than the big board though!

pb01.jpg

pb02.jpg

pb03.jpg

pb04.jpg

Martin

Right, I've now put my new rig together. I'm quite proud of the custom interface box I created, which links from my modified Pedalsnake to my pedalboard. I did get a bit of help drilling the 24mm holes for the Neutrik D connectors (I don't have a pillar drill and couldn't hold a hand drill steady enough!) but drilled all the other holes and did all the wiring myself.

twkrig1.jpg

There are a pair of Egnater Tweaker half stacks (15w 6V6 all valve heads with 1x12 cabs loaded with Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary speakers), and a 4U Rhino shock rack (on a Rock'N'Roller R2 mini cart).

twkrig2.jpg

My heads as I have them set currently. I run one in Brit (Marshall) mode, which is a darker and more meaty tone, whereas the other is in USA (Fender) mode, which is much brighter. Gain is pretty low, for clean headroom, although with a boost I can push it to breaking up... I have the volume at the "sweet spot" - these amps really come alive with the volume between 1:00 and 2:00.

twkrig3.jpg

In the rack is my slightly battered Korg DTR1000 tuner (which is really shallow - mounted behind it on the rear rack rails is a Samson power distribution unit), TC Electronic G-Major II, and a rack shelf which includes (visible) my RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, RJM Y-Not, Keeley DS-1 Ultra, MXR CAE boost, MXR EVH Phase 90, and (invisible) Fulltone OCD, RJM Mini Line Mixer, Sweet Sound MoFaux Vibe and Burkey Flatliner Pro power supply. I also custom built and wired a 1U rack panel on the back with a Powercon, the 4 connectors for the Pedalsnake (3 3-pin and 1 5-pin XLRs) and 6 jack sockets for interfacing with the amplifiers.

twkrig4.jpg

The pedalboard complete with interface box. I used minijack connectors for the audio links, and RCA phono jacks for the power, because I was short of space and they were easy to deal with.

I have the rig set up so I can either go to 1 head, the other, or both. The FX sends on the two heads then go to my RJM Mini Line Mixer, which sums them together into the input of the G Major II. Then the stereo outputs of the G Major II go back to the two amps in stereo and out to the speaker cabs. I've got the cabs sat on the rack case front and rear panels, as this enables me to securely tilt them back at a good angle, and the foam decouples them a bit from the floor. Not pictured (because they've not yet arrived) are a couple of Amp Clamp Pro microphone mounts, one for each cab. Live I tend to use Shure Beta 57A mics for my cabs, although often I'll use a pair of SM57s per cab when recording.

This rig sounds SOOO GOOD! I only finished putting the whole thing together yesterday morning, and I'm really getting the best sounds I've ever had from a guitar rig out of it. And the RJM products are the glue that hold the thing together. Fantastic :)

Nice!!!

I'll check out that video when I have a chance. The Tweaker sounds like a cool amp.

Thanks - it is very cool. So many versatile and usable sounds.

Last night I shot some high gain stuff after requests from a couple of people on Facebook and HRI. Video is here.

Back