New GT10 Layout - a few problems...

Alvi

Hello all,

I'm hoping to get some help with the following. I’m running the MMGT10, and I have some problems to overcome before using it as my main controller. Programmed with an AxeFX III, I use page one as a preset selector, page 2 as a Scene selector (via IA) buttons, and page 16 (‘local page’) for effect blocks - showing blocks relative to each individual selected preset. Each page is linked with page switchers so I can navigate between them easily (see photos). This is all fine.

Here are my problems:
  • Page 2 (the scene selector) - will import scene names, but it does them in a global way. i.e, it will import scene names from patch 000 and then apply them across all presets, so that they don't change according to the preset (I hope this makes sense). I tried to use the scenes menu, but it is a non-editable or non-programmable page, so it is not useful to me - unless i'm using it wrong!
  • Is it possible to make a preset sound change only when hitting a scene name button (on page 2) rather than a preset button (on page 1). Essentially, I want to use the preset buttons almost as folders, and then the scene on page 2 as the actual ‘file’ or ‘sound’ (I hope this makes sense also!).
  • When I switch from one preset to another, by default, the first scene is selected on the AXE-FX, but the ‘scene 7’ button is selected automatically on the board. How do I set it up so that the footswitch takes the data from the AXE FX relative to the selected scene? I have my midi cables in place and they are working.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• Page 1 - preset selector.jpg
    Page 1 - preset selector.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 7
  • Page 2 - scenes.jpg
    Page 2 - scenes.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Page 16 - local page.jpg
    Page 16 - local page.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 4
With regard to the first issue, is it just that you want the actual scene names from the corresponding presets on the axe fx to load onto page 2? Have you done an "import presets" from axe fx that includes scene names? If you edit on the computer there's a page that will show you what scene names are currently associated with each preset within the GT10. You can manually type in the scene names you want and then update the GT10 but is probably easier to do another import.
With regard to the second issue, I'm not entirely sure what the question is but the GT10 will just do what the axe fx can do. So if you choose the preset on page one the scenes should show up on page 2 from there you can choose whatever scene you want. What did you want to do differently?
The third issue I might be settings in the GT10, there is a setting where you can choose which scene you want to load up when you select a preset. If it's set to none or 1, preset 1 loads up but if they are all set to 7 that would explain it.

Hello @Alvi

Have you set each preset, on the "Preset" tab (fourth tab in the MMGTEditor), to show Page 2? I attached a couple of screen caps. I have my first preset to show Page 2, and starts on Scene 1. The second capture shows I have my second preset showing Page 3, and starting on Scene 8. Hope this might help point you in the correct direction.

Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 6.56.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 6.56.28 PM.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 6.56.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 6.56.36 PM.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 5
If you set up individual scene buttons manually, they will only take on the name that’s assigned to them, not the actual scene names from the Axe-Fx.

The Scene Menu is intended to handle all of this for you. What’s the issue you’re having with that?

If you set up individual scene buttons manually, they will only take on the name that’s assigned to them, not the actual scene names from the Axe-Fx.

The Scene Menu is intended to handle all of this for you. What’s the issue you’re having with that?
Hello friends. Sorry for the delay in my response. I like the idea of the scene menu button, and yes having a scene menu button will show all of the individual scene names. The only problem I have with this application is that once I have selected the scene I want, the menu disappears and then I have to hit the 'scene menu' button again to bring up the scenes. What I would like is to select the preset I want (from page 1), and when I have done that, I want it to open page 2 to so I can select from one scene to another witout them disappearing (but also showing the scene names). On page 2, I would like the option to move to the local page (p.16)where I can select any effect blocks that I have associated with the preset. I hope I am being clear enough abou all of this.

It's starting to become more clear now what you're after. That said, I'll have to give it some thought and do some testing to see if there's anything I can come up with. I think one of your goals can be achieved just by going into each individual preset and choosing page 2 as the default so that once you select the preset, the preset would open on page 2. As far as going directly to page 16 upon selecting a scene, I'm not sure that's possible. I can see the utility though.

HI Neill00. Thanks for trying to help me out. So just to clarify:

1. The biggest problem I have is not having the scene names automatically downloading to the individual IA buttons that I have controling scenes.
2. When moving from one preset to another, I don't want the sound to change until I have hit another scene name. ie, if i move from preset 001 to preset 002, I don't want the sound to change until I have selected a scene in preset 002. So essentially, the preset button is noting more than a folder for thesound I am looking for.

Tricky to explain, so I really appreciate your patience in this.

Thanks

Ah... I get you. Do you use the editor? You could look and see if the scene names got imported with the preset names. If not try doing the import preset names again, I'm pretty sure there's an option to include scene names. If the scene names are already there, then the issue is what Ron advised in a previous post.

As far as your second goal, I don't if know if that's do-able. You essentially want the MMGT to remember the preset you chose but not send the midi for it until you've selected a scene. Then when you select the scene, the MMGT has to send both midi messages in the correct order. I'm pretty certain there's no way to achieve that as the unit is now. Whether it's even possible to implement only Ron could say.

No, I totally understood what you meant in my last reply. And what I pointed out still stands. If you have page 2 set up for scenes it will show the correct scene when you change presets, under the following conditions, a) you have properly downloaded the scene names from the axe fx and b) you don't force the name into the button name field.

I'll give a more detailed suggestion with regard to the editor. If you click the presets tab on the editor (4th from the left), you should by default see an image of the MMGT at the bottom of the editing page, there are 3 tabs at the top of that field, IA buttons which is what you're looking at, preset actions where you can load in actions you want to take place upon selecting the preset, and scenes which shows what scenes the MMGT has loaded for that preset. If the scenes don't appear to match what is on the axe fx, then you need to try reimporting presets making sure you have "get scenes" turned on. If they appear correct then maybe you have filled in something in the "button name" field for that IA button.
With regard to the second point, I answered that in my last reply. The reason I stated things as I did is because you're wanting to have the mastermind override what the axe fx naturally does. If you bypassed the mastermind and just scrolled through the presets on the axe fx, it just chooses a preset it doesn't wait for you to choose a scene. You can, in the axe fx, set the default scene for any given preset, it doesn't have to be scene 1. But in order for the MMGT to override the axe fx behaviour, it would have to do as I said earlier, when you select your preset, it would have to remember the preset info, but not send it until you select a scene and then send both midi messages in the correct order at the same time. And as I said I don't think that's possible and only Ron will know if it could be programmed in.

Back