New to this, mastermind versus Boss es-5

Don Anderson

Greetings! I am not opposed to shelling out more coin but by being new to switchers and grouping effects I do not know the difference between a higher end unit like the Mastermind and the Boss es 5 or 8. Can some one compare them and give me a basic overview of why the Mastermind would be the way to go?

I am running a pretty simple set up; EVH stealth head and 4 x12 cab with 2 different levels of delays (one for rythym, one for Solos), chorus, flanger, phaser Reverb and gate (S) on always. Of course this could change, but it is pretty basic.

Thanks!!
Don

Being basic may be your key. It depends what you're looking to do. First, I believe the ES product line, while allowing you to move your components order sound great, it may be altering your guitar signal negatively depending on how you look at it. I suppose an analogy could be using a pedal and noticing the difference between true bypass and not.

For me personally, it's nice to have an effect on when I want it, on the other hand, removing it and preserving the amp tone is key. The PBC screen is easier to see. An obvious difference would be more loops in the PBC, but it doesn't sound like you need it at this point. I believe the PBC has far greater versatility and product support thanks to Ron...once again, if it's not something you need then there's no need to complicate life.

The PBC has fantastic PC programing abilities making it super great to work on. Though you can program changes on the board, the PC is far easier to me. The PC interface is pretty simple too. Programming away from the board, then uploading the changes in one step is great! I know for me personally, what I would like to see is Ron setup a repository of sample PC program files which can help sometimes with features we (me) may not even have considered. There's a ton you can do with the PBC. Anyone in sales should know, you can't sell features, you can only sell benefits. That being said, you have to choose the product that provides the best benefits to you. Not just features one has to offer.

Download the software and play with it. You don't need a PBC to play with the software. Ron does have one sample file you can load to give you an idea. There's also a few well done YouTube videos that will guide you as well. There's so many options the PBC offers, I still find something new I didn't think of programing.

Last edited:
Back