1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New USB not working in GT16

Discussion in 'GT General Discussion' started by Paggzy, May 20, 2020 at 6:26 AM.

1. Paggzy

Paggzy
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone

I have just upgraded from an LT to a GT16 and absolutely loving it!

The USB drive supplied with it works fine to save settings but I'd prefer a smaller profile drive and bought a Sandisk 32GB Ultrafit on sale for $9.50. I have tried converting it to MBR using Diskpart from the command prompt in Windows 10 and formatting FAT32, but when I try it in the GT16 it doesn't seem to recognise it and hangs on 'Insert flash drive'. Same if I try to format using the GT16.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Paul

2. rjmmusic

rjmmusic
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Not all flash drives work with the GT, it's a surprisingly difficult problem to solve. Do you have a flash drive that does work with the GT? Do you still have the LT that you can use to test the drive? And, can you load and store settings on the flash drive from the GT System Functions menu?

3. Paggzy

Paggzy
    Expand Collapse

Yes there was a flash drive in the GT16 box that works for saving and loading on the GT System Functions menu.
    I still have the LT, I haven't tried it with a flash drive yet but will give it a go.

4. Paggzy

Paggzy
    Expand Collapse

I just tried another new flash drive and it worked, it is a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB 2.0.
    The small profile flash drive I want to use is a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB 3.1, maybe the size or USB type is the problem? I have tried smaller partitions on it though...

#4 Paggzy, May 20, 2020 at 4:16 PM
    Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 4:49 PM
  5. rjmmusic

rjmmusic
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I would suspect USB 3 is the problem. It's supposed to be backwards compatible, but it's not as simple as that I've found.