New user questions

Alexander

Since I'm no longer a "prospective buyer" I started a new thread. :)
Preparing for receiving my GT/22 and programming it.
I've got a few questions, about the manual and editor (Mac).

1. Editor > Presets > Show Page
According to the manual there should be a "Same" value. This doesn't show up in the editor. Is this because the GT is connected yet?

2. Editor > Global > Expression Pedals
My editor doesn't display some parameters in this screen. This is probably because the GT is connected yet?

3. Editor: screens
In some screens pressing Enter will exit the screen (i.e. expression pedals). In others it doesn't (Buttons, Presets, etc.). By design?

BTW, it would be very handy if Esc could be used to exit the screen.

4. Editor > Presets > Preset Actions
There's a System Step command in this menu. This suggests that a preset button can be used repeatedly to cycle between actions.
If so, how does this relate to the Global > 2nd Press feature? Does the latter (when enabled) have priority?

5. Manual > Axe-Fx setup > Slave mode
It says: "In this “normal” mode, if you want to change which effect blocks are turned on or off in a particular preset, you need to
do the editing on the Axe-Fx itself. You can’t update this information on the Mastermind GT
."
I did not understand this at first. This indicates that no effect can be engaged/bypassed during regular use.
I guess that's probably not what's meant to be said, and that the text applies to saving states.

7. Where can one change the default bank size (number of presets per bank on the GT)?

8. If I change a preset title on the Axe-Fx, do I need to execute Get Preset Names?

9. There's no HOLD functionality for preset buttons, is that correct?

Ok, let's see what I can answer here:

1). Oops, the editor calls it "None", but it should say "Same". The effect is the same.

2). Which parameters are you missing?

3). Not by design - I'll need to go through and check each page. I probably won't use Esc, because that implies (at least to me) that changes are cancelled, but currently changes take effect as soon as they're made.

4). The System / Step command has no effect in the preset action list. I should probably hide that from the list.

5). Hmm... let me rephrase that:

Normal mode: when you select a new preset, the Axe-Fx reports the state of all of its effect blocks to the GT. (Chorus 1 is on, Drive 2 is off, etc.) The GT updates the state of its IA buttons from this information. You are able to change the effect block states by pressing the IA buttons, but to save the effect block state for the current preset, you must write it using the Axe-Fx's store button. (This is how Fractal's MFC works)

Slave mode: When you select a new preset, the GT ignores any information coming back from the Axe-Fx, and reports the state of its IA buttons to the Axe-Fx, telling the Axe-Fx which effects blocks should be turned on, and which should be turned off. In this mode, you can store any changes to the IA buttons by using the IA Store button on the GT. (This is how most older controllers work)

7) The bank size is defined by the number of preset buttons visible on the current page. If you have 5 preset buttons defined, bank up and down will increment / decrement by 5.

8). Yes, you'll need to do Get Preset Names if you change any names on the Axe-Fx

9). You can use the hold function on preset buttons just like any other button.

Thank you so much for responding.

2) Button Settings: not seeing "Tempo" (or is it "Flash w/ Tempo"?)
Presets: not seeing "Local Buttons on/off"
Expression Pedals: not seeing "Calibrate"; "Set Switch Position"
Global: not seeing "Hold mSec"; "Init Prst Names"

5) Much clearer!

9) Wonderful. So it looks like preset buttons can do double-duty as scene switches (by holding), without using IA Mode. That's great.

Yes, "Tempo" on the GT is shown as "Flash w/ tempo" in the editor. It used to be that enabling flashing was all the setting did. With the advent of MIDI clock support, the tempo button also changes the clock that's output when the GT is a clock master. I probably should change the name of the setting.

On the presets page, setting "Show Page" to "Local Page" will enable the local button page. Checking the "Edit Local Buttons" box will automatically set Show Page to Local Page as well.

Calibrate and Set Switch Position only make sense if you can actually use the expression pedal, so they are not available in the editor. Do the calibration and switch position changes on the GT and read the settings into the editor. The editor will preserve the settings.

Hold mSec: wow, you're right - I missed that one. I will make sure it's in the next release.

"Init Preset Names": same here, need to add that to the editor.

Received the GT/22 today.

Wow, what a fan-tas-tic controller!!
So happy with it.

Arrived with 1.4.5 installed. I updated it without a problem.

Spent the best part of the day learning and programming it to control my Axe-Fx II.
Forced myself to use only the hardware at this time, to get acquainted with the interface.

I've got it working with the Axe-Fx fine. Scenes, holding switches to switch between X/Y or to switch speeds, using IAs to switch presets, etc.

I learnt a lot. There are some noteworthy programming details concerning the Axe-Fx. Ran across a few bugs or peculiarities too. I kept a logfile so I'll post these in the Axe-Fx thread this weekend.

Back