Newbie to MIDI needs help with Mastermind GT16

Doc Martin

I need help.

I am a solo singer / songwriter and I am trying to set up my MMGT16 to run multiple devices for my next tour this fall. Sadly, I have absolutely no clue how to set up anything via Midi. I tried to read the MMGT manual but as soon as I got to adding a generic device - the manual shows a page with buttons such as an "Assign Buttons" button - which is non existent on my MMGT16 as far as I can tell.

Many of the other buttons are there (I am on the right page - I think) - but there are a couple of buttons that are in the manual that simply do not seem to exist on my MMGT (and yes, I looked at the next page). I have kind of looked everywhere I know to look.

Now PROBABLY - if someone knew what they were doing - they would think... "Oh I just need to press this instead..." but I do not have that level of knowledge. If it isn't spelled out for me step by step - I am lost.

I am looking for some patient / intelligent forum member to talk me through setting up the following equipment / teaching me what I need to know. I will be happy to pay for said consultation and / or lessons. I do this for a living and I really do not mind paying people for their expertise.

I need to program 20 songs with (I believe) Program Changes to the following equipment:

1) VoiceLive 3
2) Line 6 Pod Pro HD
3) Axe FX 2 MK+
4) Chauvet Obey 40 (lighting system via Midi)

In reality about 60% of my show is simply acoustic guitar and vocals with no MIDI effects what-so-ever. (There are a few basic lighting changes but that is all)

1 song utilizes a VL3 harmony preset,

A couple of my other songs use it for different reverbs / vocal effects.

I use a Line 6 Variax on like 5 songs that need to be able to "switch guitars" during the song via the HD 500.

And finally - the Axe FX will be used for about three or four songs as well - adding cabinet / effects.

So overall - I don't think this involves a ton of work.

I bought a MOTU MicroExpress as a "Midi router" in my rack because I thought I might need it. I am not sure I do, but I will be willing to buy any additional equipment should it be necessary to connect everything.

The idea is to be able to use the MMGT16 to scroll through my concert songs - each song having presets for lighting / sound changes.

Please contact me via the forum / songwriting@mac.com to discuss prices / payment. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,
Doc Martin

Ok. 2 Days no takers... Is this thing really that hard to program? Maybe we need a video to show complete idiots how to put in a generic device....

I'm assuming you know how to configure each bit of gear outside the GT but decide what addresses you want for each device first and make sure that your chain makes sense.

For MIDI I'd go AXe-FX first, into the POD, then the VoiceLive, then the Obey.

Don't worry about the assign buttons etc. From the sounds of it, you just want to call presets on each device so this is fairly straightforward.

First things first; load the attached file into your MMGT. This just has the four devices on channels 1-4 and a row of present buttons.

Then we can move to deciding if you just need each preset on the MMGT to call various programs on each device or if you need more. Things like buttons to bypass devices or to make the lights do certain things with a button press.

Download and install the editor on your computer. It's immensely useful and much quicker to use than working directly on the MMGT.

Each preset is then just a matter of giving it a name and deciding what program you want to call on each device. I see the Obey 40 uses MIDI notes instead of program and control changes but that's not a problem. We'll get to that eventually. You can assign actions to each preset on the MMGT so that's a piece of cake.

Anyway, I'm an automation engineer so I like configuring things so I can work with you to get something you need. I'll be working in the field and living in a camp next week with nothing to do in the evenings so I can work with you a bit on this if you'd like. A busman's holiday if you will.

Attachments

• DocMartin.rjs
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.37.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.37.53 PM.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 4
Updated with a tap tempo button and a couple buttons to use as a template for lighting changes.

Attachments

• DocMartin.rjs
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Back