No trails when set to parallel

boyce89976

I moved my H9 to loop 7, in stereo, and have series/parallel set up by preset depending on what I'm doing with it. Kill dry is set to 'yes'. I use it in parallel for delays and reverbs, and in series for pitch and modulation.

I'm not getting reverb trails when the loop is set to parallel, but I am getting them when it's set to series. It should be the opposite. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure about that... Are you certain that it's parallel when you think it's parallel and series when you think it's series? If you're switching the effect off and the loop is set to series, it's physically impossible for the trails to continue.

unless the LED color somehow got off... I get trails when it's blue and no trails when it's purple.

Weird - make sure that the colors are correct and the actions are ok (they should be like this: Parallel off:OFF on:ON) You can also send me your settings and I can take a look.

Ron, double checked that the settings are set how you have them above. checking some other stuff today... wondering if the patch I'm switching to (for instance going from a parallel preset to a series preset, or from series to parallel) would cause it to cut off, or continue trails?

I'm you're going from parallel to series, you'll definitely lose your trails. Trails only stick around when you switch from parallel to parallel. Even if the new patch doesn't use the effects in question, they should be kept as parallel to insure the trails continue.

If you switch a pedals loop from series and turned on, to parallel and turned off, the trails will continue. Trails depend on having the loop turned off, but set to parallel.

Tried it today going from a parallel preset to a parallel preset on loop 7, and still no trails... Even with the same reverb preset on the H9.

Turning the loop (7) off in a preset, the trails continue when set to parallel. I'll send you my settings to see if something is weird.

Hey Ron,
Played with this some more last night. No matter how I have it set, the patch change kills the trails on the H9. I can bypass the H9, either at the H9 or on the PBC loop, without killing the trails. There must be a setting that is causing the H9 to kill trails, even when the H9 preset is not being changed.

Thoughts? Sent you my setting file Friday, have you had a chance to look at it?
Thanks,
Bill

Some pedals glitch when they receive redundant PCs, and that's why we have the setting to eliminate redundant PCs. I'll make a note that the H9 is one of those pedals.

Thanks for finding and reporting this - I'm sorry I didn't help out, it's been on my to do list for a while, but I've been overloaded with support requests lately and it's taking a while to get caught up. It's great that you found it, though - it would have been hard for me to track it down without having your rig here.

Hi @boyce89976,

I'm struggling with my trails too...

My H9 is in loop 10, and I have a Lovepedal reverb in loop 9. The reverb doesn't have kill-dry, so I have it in series.

Firstly, have we established that switching from a preset with a delay from my H9 (parallel), to a preset with my reverb (series) would kill my trails?

Secondly, how do you get around the preset changes from your PBC sending a PC to your H9, and therefore killing your tails inside the H9?

Example; Preset 6 - "Lead" with long tape delay from H9, changing to Preset 4 - "drive" with Timmy and reverb.

Do I un-check the H9 completely on my presets page on the editor? Do I send a "bypass" command to the H9 in all non-H9 presets???

Hope that makes some sense... And cheers for any pointers you can give!

Keeping trails requires not only support from the PBC, but from the pedal itself. The PBC is responsible for keeping the pedals' output active at all times, but the pedal itself needs to keep its output constant. If you switch presets on an H9, it's going to lose your trails because the H9 doesn't support reverb or delay spillover between presets.

You're correct that the checkbox in the Presets page is the key. Unchecking that box for a device will prevent the PBC from sending a PC message to the device. That will insure that the trails continue from the previous preset.

Keeping trails requires not only support from the PBC, but from the pedal itself. The PBC is responsible for keeping the pedals' output active at all times, but the pedal itself needs to keep its output constant. If you switch presets on an H9, it's going to lose your trails because the H9 doesn't support reverb or delay spillover between presets.

You're correct that the checkbox in the Presets page is the key. Unchecking that box for a device will prevent the PBC from sending a PC message to the device. That will insure that the trails continue from the previous preset.
That makes tons of sense...

So combining the un-checking the H9 box on presets that don't need that pedal, as well as keeping the loop that contains the H9 active for all presets will get me moving in the right direction?

You do need to uncheck the PC box in the PBC presets, but you shouldn't keep the loop active, otherwise you'll still be generating new delay and reverb sounds. Setting a loop to parallel and turning on trails will insure that the return part of the loop stays active, even when the loop is off. But, the loop's input will be turned off so you'll only get trails and not new echoes.

Some pedals also require a certain amount of time active, before the spillover takes effect. The Strymon Timeline for example will require a preset to be active for a few seconds before the delay section has enough material "to work with". If you switch to the next preset too quickly, you will not get a spillover, although you may have the right settings selected on both the Timeline and the PBC. I imagine this holds true for various other effects as well.

Back