Numpty Alert - RG-16 and Mesa Roadking Series 1

Ok so this is true paranoid numpty territory so forgive me for covering something that may be blatantly obvious.

ok i don't get the amp switching

i've read the manual, checked out viewtopic.php?f=7&t=255
but i don't get how the amp switching works.

So i have an RK series 1, four channels, and a g-system. How would i send the "change amp channel" command from the g-system to the RG-16?

thanks in advance

Okay, here's how it works:

The RG-16 is plugged into the footswitch jack of the Road King. We make a special cable that does the necessary signal translation between the two, and makes the RG-16 appear to the amp to be the footswitch.

Once this is done, the eight function switch buttons operate like the amp's footswitch buttons (all of them except the Ext Trig button).

The G-System is connected to the RG-16 using a standard MIDI cable. When you select a preset on the G-System, it sends a program change message to the RG-16, telling it which preset on the G-System is now selected.

To program the RG-16, just use the front panel buttons on the RG-16 to select channel, solo, reverb, etc. Hold down the Write button until the lights flash. The will cause the RG-16 to remember the settings for the currently selected preset. You can do this for each preset, for example:

- Select preset on 1 the G-System
- Select channel 3 on the Road King (using the RG-16's buttons)
- Hold down the Write button on the RG-16 until the lights flash
- Select preset 2 on the G-System
- Select channel 4 on the Road King (using the RG-16's buttons)
- Select preset 3 on the G-System
- Select channel 1 on the Road King (using the RG-16's buttons)

Now, when you select preset 1 on the G-System, the RG-16 will automatically select channel 3 on the amp. Selecting preset 2 will set the amp to channel 4, and selecting preset 3 will set the amp to channel 1. You can do this for each preset in the user bank on the G-System - each can be set to any channel (and you can of course control the solo, loops and boost as well).

Awesome, many thanks for that, it makes a lot if sense.

The problem was that I was thinking about it wrong
I also caught your g-sys, gizmo and roadster video which solidified the concept

Thanks

One further numpty question
What happens if you change to a g-sys preset that has no corresponding rg16 amp channel?
Does it simply remain on the last selected amp channel?

The RG-16 will set it to the default: channel 1 selected, everything else turned off.

Back