Old GT won’t update

JoeS

Hi there,
I recently pulled out my GT16 that I ordered in 2015, used until 2017, and has been sitting since.
The firmware is 3.4.9.
I can’t get it to update. I followed the instructions to a T, but nothing happens.
I tried installing the 4.0 firmware and the newest firmware.
Is it too old to update?

Can you give me more details? How far do you get into the process? What are you seeing on the screen?

Sure. I put the firmware (only the firmware) on the rjm memory stick, after starting the gt on the boot loader screen, I put the stick in the usb slot.
Literally nothing happens.
I formatted the stick in ms-dos (fat 32) format and tried again. Same.
i tried the newest firmware and the firmware 4.0 right after 3.4.9.
I did a hard reset of the GT and it still wouldn’t load up the file.
The stick works in my computer and accepts the file. I ejected the stick properly.
That’s where I’m at with it.

I've had that issue a few times myself, particularly with certain brand flash drives. I've been able to get them to work if I use the MMGT itself to format the drive. If you look at the System Functions menu on the MMGT, you'll see Format Drive option. It should be there in 3.4.9, but I can't test this as my MMGT is already running the newest version.
Once you have formatted the drive on the MMGT, eject it and put it your computer to drop the .syx file onto it. Then eject it and go back to the MMGT to run the update. Hopefully the MMGT will recognize the drive's format, since it performed the formatting itself.

The above is good advice - I also can't remember when we added the Format Drive option, but if you have that option, I definitely recommend using it.

A few other tips: Use a flash drive that's less than 32GB, and don't use one that's USB 3.0. You can also try powering it up with the flash drive already plugged into the GT - sometimes that makes a difference.

Back