On/off switch via MIDI

Asger

I need some help setting up my PBC 6x.

How do I set up an on/off switch for my ventris via MIDI in a preset?

I want lets say buttons 1-3 to be regular presets with multiple pedals changing and button 4 be an on/off switch for my ventris that will work across all presets.
Can anyone help me out?

Yep! You just want to make that an IA button. For its actions (assuming you already set up the Ventris as one of your midi devices) you pick CC command and you choose ventris and look for the command that says "bypass". Also make sure you have the two check boxes "send on preset change" and "update on preset change" checked to make sure it works across presets. That should do it!

Yep! You just want to make that an IA button. For its actions (assuming you already set up the Ventris as one of your midi devices) you pick CC command and you choose ventris and look for the command that says "bypass". Also make sure you have the two check boxes "send on preset change" and "update on preset change" checked to make sure it works across presets. That should do it!
Ive tried that several times now and that's not working. MIDI is working fine. In page mode i can get it to do everything, but as soon as im trying the same in preset mode, it's just not responding how i want it to.

Maybe if I walk you through all my steps, you can see where things slide.

I start with choosing the song i want to edit.
Then i set up all my presets with loops and PC messages.
Then i click the submenu buttons in the preset menu and check the box where it says edit local buttons and make one of the footswitches an IA button.
Then i choose Add CC action and pick the ventris and bypass.
Done and write changes to device... Aaaand nothing.

Do you know what's wrong here?

I think so; local buttons is a specific, single page you can display for certain presets, which you don’t need here unless you want it.

Basically when you make the button I mentioned, you just put it on any page. Then when you are editing each preset, go to that page in the editor and make sure the button is either set to bypass the Ventris or engage it.

You could also use a cc action in the preset action pane but I don’t think Ron generally recommends that.

make sense?

I think so; local buttons is a specific, single page you can display for certain presets, which you don’t need here unless you want it.

Basically when you make the button I mentioned, you just put it on any page. Then when you are editing each preset, go to that page in the editor and make sure the button is either set to bypass the Ventris or engage it.

You could also use a cc action in the preset action pane but I don’t think Ron generally recommends that.

make sense?
Hmm... Im not quite sure i get it.
Are you telling me that if I make an On/off switch the way you suggest, it will be on all my banks? lets say buttons 1-3 are always presets and 4 is always an on/off switch, no matter what song or bank im in? Am I getting that right? If so, that's not quite what im looking for. I want to only have it on one bank.

Hmm... Im not quite sure i get it.
Are you telling me that if I make an On/off switch the way you suggest, it will be on all my banks? lets say buttons 1-3 are always presets and 4 is always an on/off switch, no matter what song or bank im in? Am I getting that right? If so, that's not quite what im looking for. I want to only have it on one bank.
Your original post said "button 4 be an on/off switch for my ventris that will work across all presets." If you want button 4 to control the Ventris bypass on every preset (i.e., that button is always present as button 4 regardless of what song or preset you're on), then you would want to make button 4 do that on the main Buttons tab (at the top of the editor), on page 1 (where presets are generally controlled). That would be the global approach. On the other hand, if you want it to only be on button 4 for certain presets, you would modify the Buttons tab within the Presets tab, and I believe you would check "Edit Local Buttons" for that preset.

Is either of those options what you're looking for?

Yeah maybe I misunderstood what you wanted! Since, I have a Ventris too I'll throw out what my process looks like for programming presets. This is all in the editor software:

• Once I name my preset, first I go up to page 2 where I have a bunch of buttons that say what loops I want engaged, and I choose the ones I want
• Then I go up to page 3 where I have a few MIDI-based buttons and I do the same thing; I have a button for both my Ventris and my Nemesis, and I indicate if I want each of those bypassed or engaged
• Then I save the preset

Alternately, you can just post your settings file and one of us can totally figure it out. :)

Your original post said "button 4 be an on/off switch for my ventris that will work across all presets." If you want button 4 to control the Ventris bypass on every preset (i.e., that button is always present as button 4 regardless of what song or preset you're on), then you would want to make button 4 do that on the main Buttons tab (at the top of the editor), on page 1 (where presets are generally controlled). That would be the global approach. On the other hand, if you want it to only be on button 4 for certain presets, you would modify the Buttons tab within the Presets tab, and I believe you would check "Edit Local Buttons" for that preset.

Is either of those options what you're looking for?
yeah, i see i should have been more precise. The last option is what im after.
Ive tried checking the edit button locally, setting one button to IA and having that send out a CC message for bypass to the ventris, but that doesnt seem to do anything... So im scratching my hair here.

Yeah maybe I misunderstood what you wanted! Since, I have a Ventris too I'll throw out what my process looks like for programming presets. This is all in the editor software:

• Once I name my preset, first I go up to page 2 where I have a bunch of buttons that say what loops I want engaged, and I choose the ones I want
• Then I go up to page 3 where I have a few MIDI-based buttons and I do the same thing; I have a button for both my Ventris and my Nemesis, and I indicate if I want each of those bypassed or engaged
• Then I save the preset

Alternately, you can just post your settings file and one of us can totally figure it out. :)
If im getting this correctly, you have a dedicated MIDI page, right? Where all buttons are IA. That i can do, no problem.

What im after (ill try to be super specific now) is one on/off button for the ventris, that i can access along side my presets in one specific song or bank, without changing page or anything. The on/off button is not present in other songs or banks, only in that one specific song or bank.

If no one can help me, ill try posting my settings and see if you can help me out.

Back