Parallel effects using the Effect Gizmo?

I'm working out a rack setup using the Effect Gizmo and the Mastermind LT. I think I have a setup here that would work:

Rack Setup.jpg

But I'm not sure about a couple of things:

• What would happen if I got a chorus that was mono IN, stereo OUT? THere are some really cool ones out there, like the Free The Tone Tri-Avatar, that might do an even better job of getting that 80s rack sound. But I'm having a hard time figuring out how I could incorporate it, as opposed to a chorus that is stereo in and out.
• I haven't the slightest idea how I would go about running the time based effects in parallel with the Effect Gizmo. I'm really, really struggling here. How would you all go about it?

Last edited:
I have a pretty involved Effect Gizmo setup that includes mono and stereo fx pre and post preamp, and two amps running in stereo so here are some ideas.

First of all, are you getting any ground loops with the Decimator?

From what i can tell in the wiring, you’re using the guitar to track the Decimator and then running the Decimator post preamp before all the post fx. I would replace the Decimator with the Pro Rack G version or a vintage Boss noise gate (or any gate pedal that can properly handle a preamp send signal) and do away with that guitar tracking connection. Also the Decimator pedal can reduce signal level or clip when running post preamp in my experience.

The best way to run those post fx in parallel to the preamp is with an RJM Mini Line Mixer so that you have the Preamp send in Input 5-8, the Decimator rack in Loop 5 (mono) and then the Eq in Loop 6 (mono) and then send 7 is your dry mono preamp (with or without Decimator and/or eq) signal going to the dry mono in of the MLM.

That signal after send 7 then passes through to Send 8 sending to the Eventide (which i’m guessing might not have an analgoue through). Returns 7 and 8 aren’t used.

The Eventide stereo out then goes to a stereo input pair of the MLM.

Then MLM’s stereo summed output (mono preamp on left channel and Eventide on both left and right channels) then goes to Input 9 on Gizmo, with Output 9 wired to Input 10.

Loop 9 then goes to Inspire and Loop 10 goes to Dig. Output 10 (stereo) then goes to the power amp’s stereo returns.

One thing to bear in mind is your desired stereo image in the power amp. I would keep a mono dry preamp signal always on the left speaker, and then augment that with a stereo wet image from the post effects. This works much better in a band mix than having the dry preamp running dual
mono to both left and right resulting in the dry being “panned” centrally.

Do the Inspire and Dig run an analogue through at unity gain of the input signal and if so is that true stereo? If so then all good.

If not, a second MLM could then be used to sum Inspire in parallel to the dry/Eventide sum, and then run that second sum to Dig if Dig has a stereo analogue through.

The tuner would probably work better if it could receive the dry guitar signal and not the
preamp signal so maybe stick that as Send 1 (leaving Return 1 disconnected) and then run the 3 pre effects in loops 2-4, or run the tuner from the From Front output (i can’t remember if that output is normalled to Buffer In if nothing is plugged into Buffer In)

I'm working out a rack setup using the Effect Gizmo and the Mastermind LT. I think I have a setup here that would work:

View attachment 2021

But I'm not sure about a couple of things:

• What would happen if I got a chorus that was mono IN, stereo OUT? THere are some really cool ones out there, like the Free The Tone Tri-Avatar, that might do an even better job of getting that 80s rack sound. But I'm having a hard time figuring out how I could incorporate it, as opposed to a chorus that is stereo in and out.
• I haven't the slightest idea how I would go about running the time based effects in parallel with the Effect Gizmo. I'm really, really struggling here. How would you all go about it?

Again this all depends on if you want your dry preamp to be dual mono or just mono in one channel. Any rack unit that has mono in only would need to be before any stereo effects otherwise it would mess up the stereo image, and i would run one of those in parallel via a MLM unless it has a proper analogue through.

An ideal solution for post effects is to have just one processor with extensive internal routing capability to do all the post effects, running in parallel to the dry preamp via a MLM. That way you can have multiple fx feed each other within the processor correctly and not need to keep summing things outside.

Check it out, luca9583:

Gizmo Setup V3.jpg

Those revisions were made after emailing back and forth with Jim at RJM. I'm going to run that diagram past him, but I THINK I may have it sorted out now...

I have a pretty involved Effect Gizmo setup that includes mono and stereo fx pre and post preamp, and two amps running in stereo so here are some ideas.

First of all, are you getting any ground loops with the Decimator?

From what i can tell in the wiring, you’re using the guitar to track the Decimator and then running the Decimator post preamp before all the post fx. I would replace the Decimator with the Pro Rack G version or a vintage Boss noise gate (or any gate pedal that can properly handle a preamp send signal) and do away with that guitar tracking connection. Also the Decimator pedal can reduce signal level or clip when running post preamp in my experience.

The best way to run those post fx in parallel to the preamp is with an RJM Mini Line Mixer so that you have the Preamp send in Input 5-8, the Decimator rack in Loop 5 (mono) and then the Eq in Loop 6 (mono) and then send 7 is your dry mono preamp (with or without Decimator and/or eq) signal going to the dry mono in of the MLM.

That signal after send 7 then passes through to Send 8 sending to the Eventide (which i’m guessing might not have an analgoue through). Returns 7 and 8 aren’t used.

The Eventide stereo out then goes to a stereo input pair of the MLM.

Then MLM’s stereo summed output (mono preamp on left channel and Eventide on both left and right channels) then goes to Input 9 on Gizmo, with Output 9 wired to Input 10.

Loop 9 then goes to Inspire and Loop 10 goes to Dig. Output 10 (stereo) then goes to the power amp’s stereo returns.

One thing to bear in mind is your desired stereo image in the power amp. I would keep a mono dry preamp signal always on the left speaker, and then augment that with a stereo wet image from the post effects. This works much better in a band mix than having the dry preamp running dual
mono to both left and right resulting in the dry being “panned” centrally.

Do the Inspire and Dig run an analogue through at unity gain of the input signal and if so is that true stereo? If so then all good.

If not, a second MLM could then be used to sum Inspire in parallel to the dry/Eventide sum, and then run that second sum to Dig if Dig has a stereo analogue through.

The tuner would probably work better if it could receive the dry guitar signal and not the
preamp signal so maybe stick that as Send 1 (leaving Return 1 disconnected) and then run the 3 pre effects in loops 2-4, or run the tuner from the From Front output (i can’t remember if that output is normalled to Buffer In if nothing is plugged into Buffer In)

Maybe I've just been extremely lucky, but the Decimator pedal has been wonderful for me. No ground loops of any kind, and it hasn't even touched my signal level. And, I've used it so far in one amp that has a buffered loop, and another that has a passive serial loop. I'm going to at least give it a try, and see if it behaves here. The Synergy Preamp let's you choose between guitar level or line level for the the loop, which is very cool.

I looked into the MLM, but I can't even find one for sale used. If I do mess with parallel at all, I'm thinking it may just be with the Dig, using a GigRig Wetter Box I have. I think I'm fine going without for the other units (chorus and Micropitch), but I suppose I will see. I'm going to be doing this all incrementally.

As for the desired stereo image, my intention is to be in full stereo even if everything is dead dry. I believe this approach is more like the old school 80s stereo rig setup. Wet and dry on each side.

Check it out, luca9583:

View attachment 2022

Those revisions were made after emailing back and forth with Jim at RJM. I'm going to run that diagram past him, but I THINK I may have it sorted out now...

Looks great. I guess it all depends on the order you want things to be (eg chorus before Micropitch) and if you want your dry preamp to be dual mono or not.

When bypassed, does the Free The Tone send the mono in to both the left and right outs or just the left out?

Looks great. I guess it all depends on the order you want things to be (eg chorus before Micropitch) and if you want your dry preamp to be dual mono or not.

When bypassed, does the Free The Tone send the mono in to both the left and right outs or just the left out?
That's the million dollar question! It should send the mono out the left and right when bypassed, and other people have said it will. But I don't know if they are speaking from experience, or just making the same assumption I am. I just ordered one, so I'll know soon!

Back