Parallel/series stereo question

boyce89976

@rjmmusic

Ron,
Based on this diagram, I think I know the answer but want to make sure. I'm about to incorporate a TC Electronic SCF (stereo chorus/flanger) into one of my stereo loops. I'm currently running a Tonal Recall (Loop 7 mono/series), Timefactor (loop 8 stereo/parallel), BigSky (Loop 9 stereo/parallel). My first thought was to put the SCF in loop 8 in stereo/series and move everything down one loop, but then the dry signal to the following loops would be the chorus/flanger effected output of the SCF.

Based on this diagram from the manual, I think it may be better to put the SCF in loop 10 in stereo/series, as it appears the wet signal from the previous parallel effects go straight to the line mixer after loop 10 (the only difference to the diagram is that loop 10 would be series). Is that correct?

Am I overthinking it? ;)

TemUNkq.png

Based on the above diagram, I believe this would be the signal flow with the SCF in loop 10:
7sALtcy.png

Last edited:
If you set loop 10 to series, unfortunately, its output is not going to go anywhere. When running parallel, every effect path has to end in a parallel effect, because only the internal line mixer's output is routed to the main output. Anything that doesn't go through the mixer doesn't go out.

Glad I asked! So it sounds like I need to do it this way:
  • Loop 7: Tonal Recall in mono/series
  • Loop 8: SCF in stereo/series
  • Loop 9: TimeFactor in stereo/parallel
  • Loop 10: Bigsky in stereo/parallel

Well, turns out my recollection is bad. I should've looked at that second diagram more closely, it is correct, loop 10 will receive its input from loop 7 and will become the dry signal that goes to the mixer. Sorry, I haven't looked at that part of the circuit in 4 years... :-/

No worries, Ron! Don't know how you keep it all straight.

So, let me ask you this... the SCF has a single input and stereo outs. Loops 8 and 9 will have stereo ins and outs. Any issue the single input on the SCF would cause in Loop 10?

It'll be fine as long as you use a ring disconnect cable to connect the SCF input. That will prevent the mono input from interfering with the other pedals' stereo inputs.

Hey @rjmmusic... another question about this routing. The SCF is creating some issues because if flips the phase of one channel. It's only an issue if running a stereo rig to a mono FOH, but that happens for me about 30% of the time. When that happens and I use the SCF I get phase cancellation at FOH. I've tried programming the PBC to flip the phase of one output when the SCF is engaged, but that didn't solve the problem (not sure why?)

So, question is... If I wire the SCF for mono in loop 10, with a Timefacter in loop 8, Bigsky in loop 9... will that cause any issues with the stereo effects from the Timefacter and Bigsky?

As long as you use the correct cables, you can use the SCF in mono. It's probably your best choice.

As long as you use the correct cables, you can use the SCF in mono. It's probably your best choice.
Thanks, Ron, thats what I was hoping to hear. The SCF is on a whole other level sound quality-wise, so I'm really trying to figure out how to make it work! ;)

Barry, converted it to DC power to run off 18v from a power brick, and put caps on the inputs/outputs due to "popping" when engaging the loop it's in (it was never designed to be in a loop system, apparently)... so I'm pretty invested in it, hahaha.

Back