PBC 10 Routing Questions

Paolo Stratos

I'm a ES-8 owner and I'm considering to move to the PBC 10 for it's superior characteristics and capabilities.
However, after reading the manual, I have some doubts on the flexibility of it's routing system. As far as I understand:

1) the insert points between loops are physical and fixed and there is no way to move them by preset (i.e. 7 loops in front of the amp and 3 in its fx loop)
2) the loops are no re-routable
3) the trails only work with parallel routing and using kill dry option in the pedals (if existing).

Point 1) is what worries me the most because when I play with my amps I always use their effect loop but when I play with a back stage amp or in a rehearsal rooms I use all pedals in front of the amp.
How can I manage this with the PBC 10? Should I physically re-route the cables or there is a way to solve it with a specific software configuration like I do with the ES-8 simply using different banks specifically set for the two different routing situations?

If you're doing either an FX loop or everything in front, you don't need to do anything regarding rerouting (there are 6 loops in front of the amp, loops 7-10 after).
  • For the fx loop: use the insert points and the 4cm
  • For everything in front: use the outputs A and/or B (you'll need to run a cable from "out 6" to "in 7"

The PBC/6X allows for the insert to be placed anywhere and the loops can be re-orderd - a feature often requested but in practice seldom used! Parallel routing can only be done using an external line mixer.

The PBC/6X allows for the insert to be placed anywhere and the loops can be re-orderd - a feature often requested but in practice seldom used! Parallel routing can only be done using an external line mixer.
PBC10 allows loops 7-10 to be in either parallel or series.

Indeed, but with the PBC/6X to which I was referring you need an external mixer.

I got that but the PBC/10 won't do everything he needs so I was offering an alternative that does address some of those needs. It allows him to make a choice by offering an option he may not of considered. Had he already owned a PBC/10 I would not have commented.

I got that but the PBC/10 won't do everything he needs so I was offering an alternative that does address some of those needs. It allows him to make a choice by offering an option he may not of considered. Had he already owned a PBC/10 I would not have commented.
Ah, I got it. I think the re-ordering loops thing is a nice idea, but not really necessary in real life, at least for me. The more important features for me are trails and FX loop routing. To each his own.

Thank you both for your advices, very helpful indeed.
I think that PBC 10 should better suits my needs because of the higher number of loops, trails and fx loop.
It is a fantastic unit that, in my opinion, would be even better with a loop re ordering feature or just a movable fx loop insert point.
The latter is the feature I use the most in my ES-8 for positioning my Chase Bliss Condor and sometimes the filter effects of my H9 in front or in the loop.
Anyhow, I think I could probably live without it and take advantage of the PBC 10 superior midi and overall capabilities.
Let’s see...

If what you’re worried about is only the own amp / backline issue, what most people I think do, myself included, is have a patch box or junction box to centralize the wiring in and out of the PBC and board in general, with jacks for guitar, amp, send, and return, etc. You then divide the board into two sections, in front of amp, and loop.

If you are not using an FX loop, you either put a patch cable between “amp” and “send”, and connect the return to the amp’s input. Or better still, have the box wired with switching jacks so that if nothing is plugged to “amp” the connection is routed directly to the “send” connection of the box and you don’t have to patch it manually.

Edit: just saw your 7/3 loop arrangement on the first post, no way around having to split 6/4. However, I do have an 8/4 pedal arrangement: I activate a double remote switch box using two of the PBC’s function switches, so I get two additional loops right after loop 6, sort of a poor man’s mini effect gizmo.

Last edited:
Back