PBC 6x glitching

JES

Greetings. I'm having a weird problem with my PBC6x. About 1-2 times per 2-3 hour practice, the PBC 6x glitches. Sometimes it restarts. And sometimes the colours change on the LEDs from what I'd programmed and they just sort of stay there until I hit another button a couple times. I haven't figured out how to reproduce the behaviour. It just sort of happens.

I am running it off a Strymon Zuma, and the only two other high current pedals are an Eventide H9 and a Source Audio Ventris. Everything else is analog and low current. Also checked the connection and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks.

Make sure the lid is on tight. If it's not on tightly, static electricity can cause some problems, including the random light color issue.

The screws need a 7/64" hex screwdriver to tighten them.

Thanks. This is a likely explanation. I had to remove the cover to take out an errant screw. Will try it tomorrow.

If there was a screw that was loose in there, you might also want to check to see you can see where it came from. It's possible that it was just an extra screw, but if it was one of the ones that secures the circuit board to the chassis, you'll want to put that back - a firm connection between the circuit board and the enclosure is also important.

I had this upon arrival of my unit as well. Nuts around the switches were very loose, so I tightened those, the 9 little screws that secure the lid were not as loose, but they did require 1/4 to 3/4 turn. Unit has not glitched and restarted, but the colors are different than what I programmed on some of the buttons. How can I solve this?

Button off is supposed to be red for all of them, and button on is supposed to be white, but I get aqua on 1 and 4.

Edit: these are the colors I program and the colors I get displayed on the unit. This same behavior is seen on switches 1, 4, Function, and Bank down.

Black - black
Red - red
Green - green
Yellow - green
Blue - blue
Purple - blue
Aqua - aqua
White - aqua

Attachments

• 57662551-0C91-4C5E-B531-01D121C18236.jpeg
    57662551-0C91-4C5E-B531-01D121C18236.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 16394012-9AC1-4D22-A615-DB3931DECFCC.jpeg
    16394012-9AC1-4D22-A615-DB3931DECFCC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
There are only two possibilities, there's something wrong with your settings, or there's something wrong with your hardware. If you'd like to send me your settings, I can have a look at them.

Here ya go, appreciate the help!
I've just begun to set up stuff and programming, so a setting mishap is definitely prone to happen :oops:

I set up page 7 just to test the LED colors.

Attachments

• Yiyo Settings 20210207.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Since I copied them, turning one of them on/off changes the status on all of them. The colors change according to what I describe above,on switches 1, 4, Function, and Bank down I get these colors. Switches 2, 3, and bank up have no problem.

Black - black
Red - red
Green - green
Yellow - green
Blue - blue
Purple - blue
Aqua - aqua
White - aqua

The buttons have IA Link turned on, which links all buttons that have the same first action. Turning one IA Linked button on will turn on all the others. That'll fix the first problem.

As for the second, I've never seen that happen before. It's definitely not in your settings, I tried them here, changing some of the colors on page 7 to the "problem" colors, and they work fine.

Just to be 100% sure, can you send me a settings file that definitely shows the problem? Your page 7 has buttons that are all set for red and blue colors, which seem like work ok for you.

BTW, are you running the latest firmware (4.5.0)? I don't know of any bugs that would cause this kind of problem, but it's best to be up to date just in case.

Thanks, the one button turning them all on and off was done on purpose, so one click would show me all of the LEDs at the same time. If you look at page 1, that gives me problems, since off color is red, but supposed to be white for on, and shows aqua in switches 1 and 4 on the on position, and black for off.
I am running 4.5.0.

I get red and white on my PBC. I suspect that there's something wrong with your PBC. For some reason, some of your red LEDs have failed. Please contact us at support@rjmmusic.com and we can talk about repairs.

hoo boy. Will see if I can tell.
Okay, I have opened it up, tightened down the 4 screws I could see on the circuit board, and then tightened down all the Allen head screws on the chassis. I just got through a proper practice at volume and had one reboot and one time lights turned on for no reason. Is there anything else for me to check?

Same steps and same result here too. My next step may be rubbing a dryer sheet all over it and hoping for the best haha.

If either of you want to send it in to us, I can take a look at it.

About the only other thing I can think of is to try a different power supply. A Zuma should be fine, but you never know...

Thank you. I'll try a different power supply at practice next week and make sure that's not it. If that's not it, I probably would like to send it in to avoid trouble on a gig (whenever those happen again). The one bonus of this is that it led me to set it to boot on the preset that was active as shutdown, so a reboot doesn't mess up what's happening in the song.

Back