PBC 6x / Iridium setup

TroyH

I recently picked up a Mastermind PBC 6x, so I'm new to it and MIDI as a whole. It's definitely a learning experience.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the optimal setup for a PBC 6x and Strymon Iridium?

My current layout is:

Pre-PBC I have a Strymon Compadre that I plan to control via MIDI
Post-PBC I have a Source Audio Collider that I plan to control via MIDI

Loop 1 - Phase90 and a Lovepedal Vibe
Loop 2 - Overdrive (Novels ODR-C)
Loop 3 - Overdrive (Ceriatone Horsebreaker)

Loop 4 - Split for two more mono dirt pedals
Loop 5 - Split for two more mono dirt pedals
Loop 6 - TBD, Possibly a stereo multi-modulation pedal

Insert - Running mono to out to the Strymon Iridium, stereo return. Controlled via MIDI

Using the second input to run to a tuner. No expression pedal at this point but might investigate one eventually.

I feel like I'm pretty happy with the overall layout, though the MIDI control is still coming together. Any suggestions or things I might be overlooking?

I have a Strymon Iridium sitting in loop 10...stereo in and out. In order to get midi functioning properly for the Iridium, at least the way I wanted to use it, I had to purchase a Disaster Area Midibox 4. I can store and change Iridium preset through my Mastermind PBC easily.

Along my journey of getting this working properly, I tried another solution which also worked but not in the way I wanted. I was able to connect to the Iridium directly from my PBC's midi out port, via a five pin Midi-to-TRS adapter. This worked and I could change and store presets on my Iridium through my Mastermind PBC. The problem I ran into was this...I have two Eventide H9's on my board and I'm using the PBC's midi out port to connect to them. When I attempted to connect the five pin midi-to-TRS cable to the midi thru port on my second H9 and connect that to my Iridium, it didn't work. I eventually contacted Strymon and they were also confused as to why that configuration wouldn't work. I went through multiple debugging rounds and proved that the midi thru port on my second H9 was passing midi data but alas, no joy.

In the end, the Disaster Area Midibox 4 was required to make my setup work properly.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the PBC and midi! It’s a mind-bender at first but incredibly rewarding when you get it dialed in.

I have a Disaster Area Midi Box 4 controlling my Iridium and Jackson Bloom. It’s flawless. I highly recommend that box. It has standard midi in and thru jacks so you can just connect regular midi cables to the box and then on to the rest of your midi chain. Then just connect TRS cables to your Compadre and Iridium.

Also, I don’t know a ton about the Collider but the pic I looked up only has a midi IN jack. You would either need to have this pedal at the end of your midi chain OR perhaps you could make a TRS to midi cable and connect it to the Disaster Area box as well.

Also, I don’t know a ton about the Collider but the pic I looked up only has a midi IN jack. You would either need to have this pedal at the end of your midi chain OR perhaps you could make a TRS to midi cable and connect it to the Disaster Area box as well.

I own a Collider and it does have both MIDI In and Out jacks.

Back