PBC 9v or 12v DC?

Gilles

Hello,

This morning, I tried tu use different DC voltage on the PBC and I hear a difference which is important for to me.
What is your experience with that issue?

Ron, can you tell us whats' the best way to power the PBC?
I use all my effects with maximum voltage (Xotic, Suhr, Fulltone with 18VDC), always better.

9VAC, I think you use a regulator so the real voltage should be under 9v DC (I had not try with AC)
9VDC, the sound is very clear, bright, dynamic.
12VDC, punchier, more bass, always clear, maybe a little smoother.

There really shouldn't be much difference at all in sound, because the voltage is converted to +/- 15V internally for the audio circuitry. The PBC does draw more current at 9VDC than it does at 12VDC, so I'd say 12VDC is a little better just because it loads the power supply less.

Thanks Ron, for your answer.

The difference is good enough to have the choice between two really good sounds.
I have already heard that rigs coming from US sounding different in Europe.

;)

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was searching the forums for info on this topic, and was wondering what would be preferable between running the PBC on 9VAC (800mA) or on 12VDC (400mA)? I have both options available on my Ciokolate. Thanks!

12VDC is better - we've stopped recommending 9VAC, because the AC line noise can still sneak in to the audio path.

Back