PBC and Kemper

boyce89976

Has anyone setup commands on the PBC to control a Kemper? I need to control amp profiles and Kemper effects and I'm not sure how to set it up.

Ideally, I'd like to treat the Kemper just like any other effect and be able to send PC's and CC's with preset changes via the PBC.

I had it set up to work almost exactly like the Kemper remote. I had two pages where everything was the same except the top four buttons. On page 1 the toggled on and off stomps A-D and on page 2 Effect X- Rev.

However, I am trying to use it again just now and it isn't working anymore. A few things have happened and I am just trying to trouble shoot what the causes is.

1 - I flashed my PBC back to traditional set up for my Mesa Boogies then re flashed it back to the Kemper settings (Maybe I didn't save the final KPA setup properly before going back to traditional)

2 - I updated the KPA OS to the latest Beta version. )Maybe something in the Beta isn't working.

If I get it fixed I'll let you know.

I has had an ongoing thread with Ron previously and some private emails where he helped me set it up. I'll try and find the thread and post a link.

I got to the bottom of why my PBC stopped responding properly to the Kemper. It seems to have been a bug in the last Kemper Beta OS. I updated yesterday to the latest Beta version and everything is working fine again. I'll post my file tonight when I get home and you can use that as a starting point to save some time.

I am always wondering how best to configure the PBC button pages to control the Kemper. I wonder about using local button pages per preset etc. but the options are seemingly endless.

Maybe we can collaborate on some layouts/configuration ideas once you have the PBC up and running.

I've updated my Kemper workflow which seems like a good compromise to me. I know have just 2 button pages and make use of hold functions on the top row of buttons. Normal push toggles on and off Stomps A - D while Hold on each of those toggles on X - Rev. The only slight compromise is a small delay on the A - D stomps while the PBS waits to decide if it is a single push or a hold command. However, If I want an absolutely instant switch I can just change to a new Rig in the performance slots.

Page 2 now turns on/off tuner, steps through Expression pedal functions (somewhat redundant though as I have the Wah>Volume and Wah>Pitch enabled in the KPA itself). It also contains Bank Up/Bank Down and output A/B on off. The outputs are only used if I'm trying to do an A/B comparison between my original amp and the profile after the profiling process has been completed. Again it's probably redundant but at the moment I am still in that phase where I want to know if the Kemper really does sound and feel exactly like the real amp through a cab.

All of the preset names and performance names sync perfectly between the PBC and KPA

@rjmmusic - I have one problem though.

When I use the External Buttons for Bank Up/Down everything works perfectly BUT I can't rapid scroll by holding the buttons.

If I use the Bank Up/Down buttons on the PBC itself rapid scroll works BUT banks don't load on the KPA - it sits waiting for a preset command.

When I enable Instant Bank Switching on the PBC, Kemper Performances load on the KPA BUT Bank UP/DOWN now steps through KPA performance slots individually rather than in banks of 5.

If I disable Instant Bank Switching the external Up/Down buttons work as normal (except there is still no rapid scroll) but the Bank Up/Down on the PBC scroll to the correct KPA performance and wait for the instruction to load the first preset/slot. However, when I toggle back to my preset page and press button 1 it cancels the new performance bank and reverts to the previous bank. I thought this might be due to the intermediate step of toggling button pages so put a load preset 1 button on button page 2. Unfortunately, I got the same behaviour. I thought this might be a bug in the most recent Kemper O/S so rolled it back to the last official release but got the same results.

Any ideas Ron?

Attachments

• Kemper V2 - hold functions.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
@rjmmusic

Hi Ron, did you manage to take a look at the settings file? Is there a bug at either the Mastermind or Kemper end or is just simple operator error on my part (probably the most likely cause).

This looks like something has changed in the Kemper firmware and we need to change some things to compensate for it. I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Great. Thanks, Ron - you're the man!

At least it looks like it's not just another case of my being a complete idiot when trying to set things up ;-)

Back