PBC FW 5.0.0: Did Behavior of IA Cycle Change Recently?

vatore3rd

With FW 5.0.0 I've notice an issue with IA Cycle Actions Step 0 on preset change that I don't recall having before. I know the IA button works properly -- if I am in IA Mode and I cycle the button all steps / state work correctly. I have IA Link disabled on this button (although enabling it doesn't address the issue), and Send On Preset Change and Update State On Preset Change are enabled.

The problem occurs if I have a preset in which I have never pressed that particular IA Cycle button (and thus it is presumably at Step 0 by default). In the past, I seem to recall that would result with the system state matching Step 0 state when that preset is activated. But now, the state of the system does not match Step 0 when the preset is selected even though the button color matches Step 0.

Things work if, for every preset I want Step 0 active, I cycle through all the steps of that button to get back to 0 and then save the preset. Alternatively, I can set up the default state of things (fn switches, exp pedals in this case) to match Step 0. So I'm not stuck here. Just trying to understand if the system is behaving as expected now or if something changed in recent firmware updates.

If it shows step 0, then it should act as step 0 as well. I personally haven't seen a case where the two get out of sync. I would need a copy of a settings file so I could see it myself.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have attached a minimal settings file with everything stripped out except for one button page with one IA Cycle button (on the lower right), two preset buttons (lower left), and two presets named BAD and GOOD to demonstrate the issue.

The IA Cycle button has two states: Step 0 (GREEN) turns Fn Switch #1 ON, Step 1 (BLUE) turns it OFF. The default state of Fn Switch #1 is OFF.

The BAD preset is one in which I never selected the IA Cycle button. If you load that preset, the IA Cycle button is GREEN, but Fn Switch #1 is OFF. The GOOD preset is one in which I toggled the IA Cycle button from GREEN to BLUE to GREEN again before saving. If you load it, Fn Switch #1 is ON (which is correct).

Note that this behavior is evident in the editor as well. If you select the BAD preset in the editor, Fn Switch 1 is OFF even though the IA Cycle button is GREEN. If you select GOOD, Fn Switch 1 is ON and IA Cycle button is GREEN.

Attachments

• PBC-500-IA-CYCLE-ISSUE.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
For function switches, loops and other internal features, the settings in the Audio tab of the preset have precedence over everything else when you're changing presets. When you're manually cycling through all of the steps of a button, all you're doing is forcing the settings on the Audio tab to change to match what the button tells it to do. If you end up back on the first step and do an IA store, the settings on the Audio tab will match what the step 0 settings are asking for.

You can continue to correct the states in the same way, or you can go through the presets, have a look at the Audio tab, and correct the states for your function switches and loops to be whatever they should be when the preset is loaded.

Interesting. I think I just noticed this now because this was the first time I used an IA Cycle where the Fn Switch was turned ON when the button was in Step 0. I changed the Fn Switch to a default state of ON so now it all lines up. Thanks for the clarification.

One follow up question: I assume things like MIDI PC/CC actions will not behave in this manner as they are not internal actions. But what about System actions like BPM and ExpPedal? Their state is not reflected in the Audio tab, but I guess could still be considered internal actions.

Interesting. I think I just noticed this now because this was the first time I used an IA Cycle where the Fn Switch was turned ON when the button was in Step 0. I changed the Fn Switch to a default state of ON so now it all lines up. Thanks for the clarification.

One follow up question: I assume things like MIDI PC/CC actions will not behave in this manner as they are not internal actions. But what about System actions like BPM and ExpPedal? Their state is not reflected in the Audio tab, but I guess could still be considered internal actions.
No, only things that are represented in the Audio panel behave this way.

Back