PBC10 dysfunctional switch

Branagh

Hey there,

I bought my Mastermind PBC 10 in 2020 and have just experienced the problem that the "5" switch does not work any more. When I press it, the selection stays with the last switch I pressed.

I opened the unit to check whether I could identify the problem and found the following:

1. When "idle" the spring responsible for triggering the metal plate beneath it is not touching the metal plate, but it seems to be close enough to depress it when I use the switch. I don't know if the force is really enough, but the other switches have varying degrees of spring height, too, with some touching the metal plate and others being in a similar position as switch "5". Is it necessary/possible to tighten the spring?

2. The plastic retainer holding the plastic tube for the LED indicator has come loose from the backside of the casing, so that the tube sits slightly askew and the LED has stopped functioning. I don't know if it was glued on, but I am unable to reattach it by carefully probing it with a toothpick from the outside. Does a malfunction here disable the switch as a whole or is it just coincidence?

Any help would be appreciated and I hope a solution can be found without sending the unit in.

Best regards

The switch actuator has a cap on the rear that screws on and secures the spring inside. The most common issue is that the cap starts to loosen. and that can cause issues with the spring.

The light pipe has a rubber retainer that keeps it in place. It's not glued to anything, it just needs to be pushed all the way down to the metal case and that's enough to secure it.

If it's too hard to reach those parts, you may have to disassemble it to get better access. This video shows how to disassemble and reassemble the PBC:

We can sell you replacement parts if necessary, but I suspect that tightening everything will be enough.

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, so there is no way I can tighten the cap without dismantling the unit. I'll have a go at it once I find the time and report once I've done that.

Well, I have finally found the embarassing reason for the "dysfuntional" switch: For whatever reason, the patch for switch 5 was gone, so restoring it in the software was all that it took. It must either have been a very weird mistake from my side as I had only changed a couple of midi commands last, or it was a bug when I used "write changes to device". Either way, sorry for that and have a good week!

Back