Pbc6x build

Elvinnoe

Hey everyone,

Building a new board with a pbc6x and it’s my first board to build with a looper. But overwhelmed with how to plug everything in into the pbc. Here’s a list of gear being used :

-RJM PBC6x

-Good Wood Audio Longline

-Browne Amplification Protein V3 w/ looper option enabled

-JHS Morning Glory w/ Red Remote

-Pog 2 w/ midi mod

-Strymon Big Sky

-Strymon Timline

-Walrus Audio Julianna

-Jackson Audio Prism

-Cali 76 stacked edition

-UA Ruby and Dream

-Dunlop volume pedal

-Polytune mini 3

-Analog Endeavors external bank switch for pbc

-Strymon Zuma and oja

Needing to run it in stereo but at a lost how to achieve it. Thanks in advance.

Not sure how familiar you are with the PBC 6/X feature set, so forgive me if you already know some of this. Some basic features to keep in mind:
- The first three loops are mono
- The last three loops as well as the insert loop are stereo. All of them can be split to dual mono loops if desired with the use of TRS to dual TS cables.
- You can rearrange the order of all loops, but if you put a stereo loop before a mono loop, you will lose the right side of the stereo image. Don't do this.

Given the above, here are a few tips from personal experience:
- Definitely put each of the Protein sides in two of the first three loops so that you just need a simple TRS to dual TS cable for each side. Because of how the protein handles TRS cables in looper mode, trying to make it work in one of the stereo split-to-mono loops of the PBC makes for very strange interconnected cables.
- Minus the Protein, you can pretty much put anything in any loop and rearrange the loop order later, so focus on keeping wiring clean on the initial build.
- Not everything needs to be in loops. If it has solid MIDI control (IE: the Strymons) or are intended to be always on and basically left alone (IE: the UA amp pedals), then you can just run the output of the PBC into the input of the next pedal.
- If you have questions, especially on the PBC side of things, keep asking questions here! Lot's of super knowledgeable people willing to help out!

Since you say you're a little overwhelmed, assuming traditional signal chain order, here's an example of how you might connect everything:

Guitar > Input 1
Input 2: Tuner
Loop 1: Prism
Loop 2: Protein Blue Side
Loop 3: Protein Green Side
Loop 4: POG 2
Loop 5: Volume Pedal
Loop 6: Julianna (Stereo)
Loop 7 (Split from 4): Morning Glory
Loop 8 (Split from 5): Open Loop
Output > Timeline > Bigsky > Ruby/Dream > Longline

From there you could then rearrange the signal chain in the editor so that it's:
Guitar > PBC Input > Prism > Cali76 > Morning Glory > Protein Blue > Protein Green > Volume > POG2 > Julianna > PBC Output > Timeline > BigSky > Ruby/Dream > Longline

In the editor you would just need to make sure that (on the audio tab) the Tuner Out option is turned on and locked (turning Input 2 into a constant tuner out), and that loops 4 and 5 are set to split mono. After that it's just setting the loop order and all the other programming fun!

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much @PianoMan ! This is very helpful. Had one question. Getting the guitar in on the pbc is really tight, so I had thought going into the guitar in of the tuner. Would that still be possible? Here is a diagram of where I have everything placed on the board (the riser has a 5.5” cutout, just wasn’t an option on pedal playground).

Attachments

• 311E6CF1-341A-4A08-8133-D5192C80A4BC.jpeg
    311E6CF1-341A-4A08-8133-D5192C80A4BC.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 9
No reason why you can't do that.

As a side note though, it looks like you plan to run a separate Red Remote for the Morning Glory? If so, you should know that you can control that toggle on the Morning Glory via the PBC by running a cable to it from the FN SW output. I did it myself with a Kilt for quite a while and it worked great! Always best to automate it via presets if possible IMO.

Also, just looking at that pedal layout, I think you're going to have some issues fitting some of the stuff in there (the volume pedal and UA stuff in particular - the board just isn't deep enough). Obviously I don't know everything about your needs, but may I recommend something like the following:

1674224938859.png

You can definitely get it better with a bit of work (I only put in about 5 minutes), but you shouldn't have any issues fitting in plugs this way, and you should have easy access to anything you would realistically need to mess with during a performance.

As a side note though, it looks like you plan to run a separate Red Remote for the Morning Glory? If so, you should know that you can control that toggle on the Morning Glory via the PBC by running a cable to it from the FN SW output. I did it myself with a Kilt for quite a while and it worked great! Always best to automate it via presets if possible IMO.

Also, just looking at that pedal layout, I think you're going to have some issues fitting some of the stuff in there (the volume pedal and UA stuff in particular - the board just isn't deep enough). Obviously I don't know everything about your needs, but may I recommend something like the following:

View attachment 2675

You can definitely get it better with a bit of work (I only put in about 5 minutes), but you shouldn't have any issues fitting in plugs this way, and you should have easy access to anything you would realistically need to mess with during a performance.

Sweet, I’ll try that with the red remote. Yea, because of the cut out on the riser, I’m not able to run it like that. I’ve actually already laid it out with plugs attached to check for clearance. Managed to get in all in with enough room.

Attachments

• 8552CB9F-4942-4C73-9B34-3E14D10163C6.jpeg
    8552CB9F-4942-4C73-9B34-3E14D10163C6.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 22A03377-7841-4FE8-9847-1DB6B0C28873.jpeg
    22A03377-7841-4FE8-9847-1DB6B0C28873.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 9
Sweet, I’ll try that with the red remote. Yea, because of the cut out on the riser, I’m not able to run it like that. I’ve actually already laid it out with plugs attached to check for clearance. Managed to get in all in with enough room.

View attachment 2675

If needed tho, I could rearrange like this if I run into issues.

Attachments

• F78C2C3F-D8D3-4C83-9EC5-DC3A459AC0FF.jpeg
    F78C2C3F-D8D3-4C83-9EC5-DC3A459AC0FF.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 6
Back