PBC6X, HX Stomp EXP stuck at 99%

cuterigs

hello!

I'm using the Dunlop DVP4 expression/volume pedal as an expression pedal into the PBC6X. For a while after first hooking it up, it was working great! calibrated fine. I'm using it to control the volume pedal function in the HX Stomp over MIDI. However, now the top of the pedal gets stuck at 99%. After a bit of doing nothing, it'll just jump to 100% sometimes. But most consistently, it just stops at 99%.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

thank you!

Last edited:
Have you tried calibrating it again? Something may have shifted in the pedal, causing its resistance range to change a bit.

One method to help avoid this is to not go all the way to the end of the pedal's travel when calibrating. Stop a little short of the end, so you leave a little buffer zone.

Thank you for the reply!

I have calibrated a few times. If I plug the pedal into the Stomp directly (using a standard TS cable like is recommended), it works perfectly.

I use a TRS cable with the PBC6X. I’ll try recalibration with your suggestion! Should anything happen once I go from top to bottom? It just shows the line moving but there isn’t any other prompt or message when I sweep from top to bottom. I typically just hit exit once I do a sweep.

I’ve attached a video showing what happens with the exp > PBC6X > stomp via MIDI

Attachments

• IMG_0659.MOV
    31.9 MB
The pedal needs to be set differently for use with the HX Stomp than it does with the PBC. There's a switch inside the pedal that says tip/ring. It needs to be switched to the other setting in order to work optimally with the PBC.

The pedal needs to be set differently for use with the HX Stomp than it does with the PBC. There's a switch inside the pedal that says tip/ring. It needs to be switched to the other setting in order to work optimally with the PBC.
I already flipped that setting, the original setting made the sweep go all over the place. However, I tried a different TRS cable from the pedal to the PBC with no change. then I tried a different pedal, a Moog EP3. It did the same thing, so I calibrated it and it worked perfectly. I moved back to the Dunlop DVP4 (without calibration) and it works perfectly! so for some reason, calibrating with another pedal left this one working. I'm not sure why that would be the case, I'm sure you might understand these things better than me!

I think I found why it works with the DVP4 after calibrating the EP-3.

it looks like the EP-3 has more range because when I go all the way heel down on the DVP4, the EXP line on the right side of the PBC screen has a tiny bit left, as if it doesn’t go all the way to zero on the PBC. This lines up perfectly on the HX Stomp though, I get 0-100% where expected.

it seems that does mean that when calibrating a DVP4 for the HX Stomp for EXP over MIDI, the trick is to not go all the way heel down to get proper range for the HX Parameters

so @rjmmusic, you were right in not going to 100% in one direction when calibrating, except i kept going to around 99% toe down. I didn’t think to try heel down not toe down in this case! Thanks so much for your help!

Now I just need to figure out how to set the Expression pedal to global. It is set to global on the HX Stomp, but when I change presets on the stomp, the Volume Pedal block jumps back up to 100% even if I have the exp pedal lower. This can be jarring at higher volume when riding the exp

Back