PBC6X taps/footswitches coming through amp

cuterigs

Hey all!

I bought an older used PBC6X a few months back. It works great except that I can often hear the footswitch taps coming out of my amp, especially with high gain or fuzz.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thank you!

I haven't heard of this happening before, so you're going to need to do some detective work. The first thing would be to see if it's coming from inside or outside of the box. Unplug the cable from the function switch jack and see if the taps are still audible.

I haven't heard of this happening before, so you're going to need to do some detective work. The first thing would be to see if it's coming from inside or outside of the box. Unplug the cable from the function switch jack and see if the taps are still audible.
Sorry I wasn’t clear! Or maybe I’m misunderstanding, also very easily possible haha

It’s not from an external footswitch, I meant the footswitches on the PBC6X. When I step on them/use the tap tempo assigned switch, say, while have a high gain or fuzz sound, I can hear the clicks in the amp. A friend just sent me a recording we just did for a church and the taps were being repeated by the dotted 1/8 note delay (using a compressor into overdrive into delay/verb in this case). I’ve been playing at home and I don’t get that. So it happens at this church and a couple other venues.

Sorry I wasn’t clear! Or maybe I’m misunderstanding, also very easily possible haha

It’s not from an external footswitch, I meant the footswitches on the PBC6X. When I step on them/use the tap tempo assigned switch, say, while have a high gain or fuzz sound, I can hear the clicks in the amp. A friend just sent me a recording we just did for a church and the taps were being repeated by the dotted 1/8 note delay (using a compressor into overdrive into delay/verb in this case). I’ve been playing at home and I don’t get that. So it happens at this church and a couple other venues.
Is it all switches, or just the tap tempo switch?

Is it all switches, or just the tap tempo switch?
I haven’t noticed if it’s EVERY footswitch but it’s definitely not just the switch I’ve assigned to tap tempo. I basically have a preset and when I select it, it opens up a local page of IAs. From there I can then turn on any loops, send midi CCs to HX stomp, tap tempo, etc

There’s a slight pop if I’m using fuzz and I turn on other loops, that’s somewhat expected. But there’s also this “metallic” sounding tap tap, almost like something is microphonic. It doesn’t sound like electronic “pops”, it sounds like the physical switch taps are coming through, if that makes sense?

I haven’t noticed if it’s EVERY footswitch but it’s definitely not just the switch I’ve assigned to tap tempo. I basically have a preset and when I select it, it opens up a local page of IAs. From there I can then turn on any loops, send midi CCs to HX stomp, tap tempo, etc

There’s a slight pop if I’m using fuzz and I turn on other loops, that’s somewhat expected. But there’s also this “metallic” sounding tap tap, almost like something is microphonic. It doesn’t sound like electronic “pops”, it sounds like the physical switch taps are coming through, if that makes sense?
Do you hear anything microphonic if you tap the case?

I finally got around to doing more testing and if I tap on the PBC6X enclosure on the right side, near the input jack and where my tap tempo button is (footswitch 4, bottom right most switch) it comes out of the amp. As I move to the left, it isn’t as loud. It is Most apparent tapping on the right side and across the top of the input and the loop send/return pairs. If I have delay/reverb on you can hear it repeated.

I tapped on other pedals and it doesn’t happen.

Interestingly, it doesn’t happen when my guitar volume is down to zero and this happens with all my guitars and with different cables at the input. Also, I have an off board wah. It doesn’t have the rubber stop at the heel end. If I’m using my high gain patch, simply moving the wah treadle and tapping the heel end of the treadle onto the wah enclosure (metal on metal) will also come out of the amp when the wah is plugged into the PBC6X (GTR > Wah > PBC). It also goes away with Guitar volume down to zero.

I have another PBC6X here I’m going to drop in tomorrow to see how it goes.

Following up after yesterday's post. I dropped in another PBC6X I have here, loaded my settings, and it works perfectly! tapping on the casing makes no noise, tap tempo makes no noise no matter how much gain I use.

I assume mine has to go in for repair? How do we go about that?

thanks for your help troubleshooting this!
jg

Following up after yesterday's post. I dropped in another PBC6X I have here, loaded my settings, and it works perfectly! tapping on the casing makes no noise, tap tempo makes no noise no matter how much gain I use.

I assume mine has to go in for repair? How do we go about that?

thanks for your help troubleshooting this!
jg
It's unfortunate that you ended up with one that had a problem, but good news that you have one that the problem is isolated to one PBC. Please contact us at support@rjmmusic.com and we'll set up an RMA

Back