PBC6X with Vox AC30 channels

cuterigs

Hello!

I am working on a build that has me stumped a bit.

He uses a Vox AC30 with the two channel inputs (not a channel switching amp like a Mesa, but rather the old school two input style channels).

he wants to use the PBC6X to switch between the channels (so outputs A/B or both on the RJM). The hang up I have is that he also wants to use the amp’s fx loop to run ambient effects (in PBC loops) to the loop and drive effects to either of the amp’s inputs.

so as far as I know: this defeats 4 cable method with the PBC insert loop? If it was a single channel amp, this would be fine. But since the main output of the PBC has to be used for the amp loop return, how do I use the insert send to switch channels?

can I run it as a stereo loop and have a stereo send to the two channels and mono return (from the amp loop)? But then this is both amp channels always on right? We can’t select L or R send only?

so do I run the insert in mono split, so two inserts. One send to the cleaner channel, one send to the dirty channel. But then what of the amp’s effects loop send? How do I get that into both the inserts?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe try something like the GigRig Remote Loopy 2, or a similar remotely switchable AB box (I think Lehle do something like that, too… there are likely others) so that the send from one PBC loop can go to either of the amp inputs. Then have the fx loop send from the amp go into the return of the PBC loop. Output from the PBC goes to the fx loop return on the amp.

You’d just have to make sure that the AB box can be switched either using midi or a PBC function switch. That should enable per preset switching of the amp channels.

Edit: less costly than GigRig or Lehle might be the JHS Switchback https://www.jhspedals.info/switchback

I don’t think you can achieve the results you’re after without some additional gear. But I could be wrong…

Last edited:
Back