Phantom power box interupts bi-direction midi

Flash6969

Hi Ron,

Sorry to do this but I've got a different issue now.

SCENARIO - I have a GT22 connected to the RJM phantom power box using a 7 pin midi cable supplied by RJM (lets call it midi#1). The phantom power box is also powered using a power adaptor supplied by RJM. The phantom power box is then connected to my Axe FX XL with a short 1m 5 pin midi cable (lets call it midi#2). Nothing else is connected to the GT or the Axe.

Connecting the GT directly to the Axe using either midi#1 or midi#2 & bi-directional midi works great. All presets are read by the GT & the Axe tuner works as expected. Both midi cables perform 100% as expected.

Re-connect everything to the phantom power box & the GT cannot read Axe presets or read the Axe tuner. The GT will change channels on the Axe, so midi out from the GT/phantom power box appears to be working however there is no midi coming back to the GT to enable the tuner function or read Axe presets. Bi-direction midi has stopped working! The only difference is the phantom power box.

Hoping you have a tip to solve this?

Sounds like there's something wrong with the phantom power box. Would it be possible to open it up and send me a picture of the wiring inside?

Solved - by plugging in a midi cable from 'midi out' of the Axe to the "Goes to midi out' connection on the phantom power box.

Im very confused now; I should have a 5 pin active midi cable in use as it worked when i connected it directly between the GT & the Axe.
I also believe i saw Ron post that the Axe does not require 2 midi cables, only 1.

Why do i need to connect Midi in & midi out on the axe fx to the phantom power box? I understood 'bi-directional' to be all comms via the midi in cable?

There are two types of phantom power box, one with one connector on the MIDI device side, and one with two connectors. The one connector model is designed for devices with bidirectional MIDI (i.e. the Axe-Fx), the one with two connectors is designed for devices that don't have bidirectional MIDI.

If you move the red and white wires from the "to output" jack to the unused pins on the "to input" jack, that will make it bidirectional. Looking at your last picture the red wire would go on the left and the black on the right.

Back