Popping Pedal Problem

I'm having a problem where I get a pretty awful pop sound when I turn on the loop with my T-Rex Tonebug Chorus pedal. I'm using an RG-16 with a Mastermind controller through a Peavey 6505+ amp. The pop is the worst the first time I switch that pedal on. It seems to get quieter after switching it on and off a few times. I have another one of these pedals in a different rig and I get the same pop. None of my other 7 pedals cause any popping. Any help?

I had a pedal that exhibited the same problem (Monte Allums modded DS-1 if I recall correctly). I never properly overcame the issue, sorry... I'm sure it's something to do with buffers, and that the problem's with the pedal. Just for the sake of troubleshooting, have you tried it in other loops as well as the one it's wired into, and in combination with other loops? Inductance is a weird thing!

It's probably caused by DC leakage at the pedal's output. This can be due to (bad) design, or old capacitors. Often, this can be fixed by adding a single resistor to the pedal.

Some TC Electronic products are famous for this. This article on their site tells how to fix it on their SCF pedal:

http://tcsupport.custhelp.com/app/answe ... UzhMRms%3D

This is likely, but not guaranteed, to work on most pedals that exhibit the problem.

Martin, I did try running it in a couple different loops, but to no avail. I thought maybe running it out of the FX loop would make a difference but the results were the same.

I read a little about the DC leakage that Ron mentioned and I think must be the problem. While I'm personally not comfortable taking my pedal apart and soldering a resistor on the output, I have a buddy who will. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Thanks for your help guys!

Back