Powering Mini Amp Gizmo w/ Modtone PowerPlant

electroncr

RJM,

I have just purchased my Mini Amp Gizmo and appreciate your products. I have gotten it working, but I have an issue trying to get it to power off my Modtone 'PowerPlant.' The PowerPlant supplies 9vDC/150mA, exactly what your documentation says is needed for the Mini Amp Gizmo. When I first tried it, the "Write" button would light up green, but would not function. It would not respond to any button presses or Midi commands. All the sudden, it worked. After some debug, I have found out that it will work right after I power it using the supplied power supply. In other words, if I try to power it with my Modtone in the morning, it will not work until I power it first with my "RJM Power Supply," remove the power, and then plug in the Mini Amp Gizmo to the PowerPlant immediately after. I would rather not do this, if possible. Do you know if I am doing anything wrong or how I can alleviate this problem?

Thanks,

Nick

That's odd. I've never used that power supply, but it sure sounds like it's struggling to power the Mini Amp Gizmo. You many need to find a different solution to power the Gizmo...

I'll check the power consumption on the Gizmo - I always try to state the current consumption a little higher than the actual number to account for variances in the components, but I've been surprised before...

Couple of thoughts - looking at that PSU, the outlets are isolated, so you could always use 2 in parallel to provide it more juice. Alternatively, could you power it from the 9VAC outlet?

I use a modtone poweplant I bought it specifically because it will supply 9vAC at 1 amp to power effect gizmo and RG16. But you could equally use 2 of the 9v dc supplies as they are all isolated

I guess I will buy a parallel cable to give it 18vDC. I do not want to use the 9vAC because I have a Digitech Whammy Pedal that I am using for that outlet. Thanks for the suggestions all. Still puzzled why it would work off 9vDC immediately after powering it with the given supply.

Nick

more than likely that the current draw during start up is higher than the 150mA provided by a single 9v outlet off the mod-tone powerplant

Back