Preset Change - IA buttons update

MiKa84

Hello there,

For programming my Mastermind GT to use with multiple amps I would like to have things work as follows:

I have a page to select amp & cab. I have a direct access page to control all my effects. In addition to that I have a bunch of presets. I already have those things programmed up to here.

Now to the problem:

For some of the presets I want it to automatically select amp & cab. For another set of presets I just want it to switch effects on and off and keep the current amp & cab.

If I turn off the Update on Preset Change in the amp&cab selection IA button settings it works for presets that should not automatically select amps but not for the other group of presets and vice versa.

Does anyone have an idea how I could program what I have in mind?

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
IA buttons will only do one or the other - you can't get them to send messages on one preset and not send messages on another preset.

There's probably a workaround for it, but it depends on exactly what you're doing, What are you using to switch amps and cabs, and what kind of messages are you sending to it?

Hello Ron,

Thanks for your answer.

For amp and cab switching I use the Ampete444. I programmed 4 IA-buttons to select cabs and 4 IA-buttons to select amps. The buttons are grouped into two different groups and just send CC-messages. For the groups I've selected the Send Off messages checkbox.

So far the amp & cab switching works perfectly with my Mastermind settings where I've programmed a specific amp per preset. But sometimes this is not flexible enough for me. That's why I would like to add "amp-independent" presets.

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea? I could still not figure out how to make it work.

Thanks,
Michael

In thinking about it, I can't think of a solution that will work perfectly. We'll need to implement some new features in order to make it possible.

I see. Well I'll wait and see what will happen in the next firmware releases and hopefully the functions needed can be useful for something else as well :)

Thanks,
Michael

I think I'm running into a similar problem as well, though the details are a little different. I want a preset to set up a base state for the preset, then modify it with IA buttons. This works fine for enabling/disabling non-midi effects like booster pedals. Does not work well when assigning PC chances to the preset and alternate PC changes to IA buttons. For example...

Create a preset to switch an amp channel and chorus PC change to a Mobius.
Create an IA button to send a flanger PC change to a Mobius.

Problem:
If the IA button is set to send and update on preset change, the Mobius is always set to flanger.
If send and update preset change is disabled, and you press the flanger IA button, when you switch to another preset the flanger button stays on.

I have found two work arounds but they are clunky.

1. Only use presents to change your midi enabled gear.
2. Create an IA button for every effects program you want to use in your midi enabled gear with send and update on preset change enabled and assign them to the same button group. You can then either kick them on as a modification to the base preset or change presets which will reset all the IA buttons for this device.

I've tried both options and they work but I don't like either one. Hoping this post makes sense and maybe helps a little.

I've responded by email, but for everyone else, the short answer is to turn "Send on Preset Change" off and "Update on Preset Change" on. Then, you can have the buttons switch states when you select a preset, but the buttons will not send any messages during a preset change.

Back