Preset switching latency

tandrewnichols

This just started happening like maybe within a week. My presets used to switch instantaneously, and now it seems like there's a pretty noticeable latency. I'm aware of the click stoppers, but I had those active before and never noticed anything, and I've also tried disabling them and it didn't resolve the issue. I read in another thread that if the buttons have hold functions that can cause this, but I don't have hold functions on any of my preset buttons. The only thing I can think of that's maybe different is that I started making a second set of songs and presets (for a different playing context) and to keep them separated I put them at the end (presets 768, 767, etc., songs 1008 or whatever the max is, and setlist 64), so I wonder if that slows down the mastermind cause it thinks it has to loop through all of them? Incidentally, the latency occurs on all presets, not just the ones at the very end. I guess I just wonder if the processing load of 768 presets (even though most of them in the middle are empty) vs say 34 is different.

The number of presets shouldn't matter at all. Jumping ahead 1 preset or 500 takes the same amount of time.

If you can find any pattern to this or any other information that might help diagnose it, that would be great. One thing to start with is bypass all of your pedals with their own switch and turn them on one at a time to see if any of the pedals are causing the perceived latency.

I haven't changed any pedals (I mean I haven't added any new ones or removed any or anything). Basically my setup is the same, but this just started happening. (I'm mean, I'm sure something changed, but I don't know what.) I did add a "hold" function on a non-preset button. Is it possible it sees that one of the buttons on the home page has a hold and that somehow causes them all to wait?

Changing a button to have a hold function should only affect presses on that button. If you'd like to send me your settings, I can do some testing here and see if I can figure out what's going on.

I want to test a bit first to see if I'm doing something dumb, but if I'm not able to resolve it, I will take you up on that.

Well, I swear I tried turning off the clickstoppers and it didn't make a change, but I shortened that time and it does seem a lot better (have to wait and see if the click is too noticeable I guess). It just seems strange that that would suddenly become a problem. I never had that issue before.

I was wrong, clickstopper wasn't the issue. The latency happens when I change presets on my Strymon Iridium mid-song. Which is unfortunate cause there's really no fix for that. I guess you're intended to use a single setting for the duration of a song. I think I've seen a post about this before, but any chance of having Song On actions for this kind of situation? Like if song A uses Iridium preset 3 and song B uses preset 4, there's no way to trigger that change save having a dedicated button (but then you have to press two things at the start of a song).

Back