Problem with 2nd amp using output B

JeffMarshMusic

Hi Ron,

When connecting an additional amp using output B, there is buzz but no signal. A single amp using output A works fine. When I press "ISO B" the buzz goes away but there is no signal. I have the first button "Mono -> Stereo (Out)" pressed in, and I also have "Mono Output" pressed in. I've checked cables with an ohm meter, and like I said, a single amp works fine through output A. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for you help,
jm

Having Mono Output pressed in is definitely the most important thing. When you connect the second amp, does the first amp continue working, or does it lose signal?

Hi Ron,

I'm delighted to say that this was pilot error, but the details are worth sharing.

I'm connecting output A to a Mesa, and output B to a Twin Reverb. I was testing my connections (messy pedal board, can't see all the cables clearly) with only the Twin turned on, now realizing that out 5-6 go to the front of the Mesa so drive pedals are before the preamp, then returning into 7-10. Obviously this is why I had no sound when the Mesa was off. But now I realize the Twin is now receiving the Mesa preamp as it is inserted before 7-10. I need to figure out how to have output B not see that insert when I want the Twin only.

Is there a way to program the PBC to ignore what is plugged into Out 5-6 and In 7-10, an override of some kind?

Thanks again,
jm

Sorry, the insert points are not switchable. You would have to use a loop to switch out the Mesa preamp instead of an insert point.

Is it a "clean amp" / "dirty amp" setup?

If not, couldn't you just run everything into the front of both amps and switch output A and B on and off depending on the amp you want.

Hi Boyce, thank you for chiming in.

It would be a clean/dirty for the most part. My desire is to have drive pedals before the Mesa preamp, then bringing the signal back in to the pedalboard so clean effects (delay/verb) are after all the drive FX. So going strait into the Twin is the only way to use a Twin since most Twin Reverbs do not have effect loops. But the Mesa does, and it's a great feature.

Like Ron mentioned, my best bet is to use one of the PBC loops for the Mesa preamp stage so I can disable it when I enable the Twin.

I have a very cool analogue midi EQ in one of the loops http://www.freethetone.com/products/detail18/
I'm thinking of putting that on an insert to make an available loop for the Mesa. The EQ is buffered, not True Bypass. But I think that's not a bad thing from what I learned here on this forum.

Thanks again for helping me think this through.
jm

Back