Problem with correct displaying of available blocks in Axe-Fx

Mr.E

I have a couple of problems.
The first:
I have five presets:
Clean / Crunch / Lo Gain /Mid Gain : High Gain
All use the Global button layout with a Comp1 block.
only the Clean uses the Comp1 block.
When Selecting Clean - Comp1 is displayed
When selecting Crunch - Comp1 is black which is ok
When selecting Lo Gain or Mid Gain or Hi Gain Comp1 is displayed.
I have to select Clean first and then any of the other presets for Comp1 to be black(not available)

Second problem.
I have in the Global button on pages 3 - 5 all blocks that are available in the Axe-Fx.
When selecting one of these pages, the blocks that are not available are black.
This is OK.
When returning to the presets, selecting any of the presets and then returning to one of the three pages,
on page 3 two blocks are black (Delay2 and Chorus 2) on page 4 & 5 all blocks are visible.I have to
select "Write changes to device" (without changing anything) and then it works again for one preset.
As soon as I once have selected one or mlore of those pages and returned to the preset, I have to use Write changes to device" again.

Attachments

• 17-01-30.rjs
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
I will see if I can reproduce the problem here.

What version of Axe-Fx firmware are you using? Are you using 3.4.4 on the GT?

You have Update on Preset Change enabled in the Comp1 button.
That means that the MM recalls the stored button state (stored with "IA Store").
Just disable Update on Preset Change and the MM will adhere to the state of the block in the Axe-Fx preset.

Last edited:
Alexander's got it right - there are a lot of buttons that have "Update on Preset Change" turned on and some with "Send on Preset Change" turned on. If you want the button state to be controlled by the Axe-Fx, those need to be turned off.

"Update on Preset Change" is admittedly confusing, primarily because it does two things. When it's turned on, you can use IA Store to store the on/off state of the button in each preset and it will recall that state when you load the preset again. When Update on Preset Change is turned off, the GT will not save the button state to presets and it will not try to load the button state when loading a preset. Turning the "Update..." setting off also has the secondary effect of allowing the Axe-Fx to control the state of the button using bidirectional MIDI.

The device type selection has two options for each Axe-Fx model: the normal option and the "Slave" option. The normal option will set up your effect block buttons with Send and Update on Preset Change turned off. The GT will act like an MFC-101 - it will receive on/off state information from the Axe-Fx and update the effect block buttons accordingly. In this mode, you program your effect block state on the Axe-Fx.

The slave option will set up your effect block buttons with Send and Update on Preset Change turned on. This will make the GT act like a "normal" MIDI controller - it will ignore state info coming from the Axe-Fx and will allow you to program effect block state for each preset using the GT's IA buttons and IA Store.

An important note is that changing from normal to slave or vice-versa does not change your buttons immediately - the setting only affects any future button assignments you make using Assign Button, Set Default Buttons, etc. So you'll have to do some editing to clean up all the buttons.

This is indeed a bit confusing.
Most of the time, I use the GT as a regular Midi controller setting the state of the blocks.
But sometimes, especially when using scenes, I want the GT to show the state of the blocks when selecting a scene.

It can only be one or the other, either the GT has control of the button and effect block state or the Axe does. You can set up some buttons that operate in one mode and some that operate in the other, just keep in mind that any button that has send/update on preset change turned on will always send its messages on preset change, affecting the state of the effect block it controls.

Back