Problem with midi Tap speed or rotary fx in Mobius with PBC

Kamil Rustam

I have a big guitar pedalboard that is used with the PBC Mastermind controller
( I have a timeline, Mobius, H9 etc..that are all chained in a midi setup controlled by the PBC Mastermind)

-I use the PBC as a master midi clock with all the midi pedals for most of my presets but I disable master clock (Tempo 0.00) on one preset I use to be able to use the midi tap for my Mobius (CC#93 but I also tried with CC#81) as a speed selector for the rotary FX speed in my Mobius and (Midi clock is set to Off in the Mobius Global settings)

It works great and I can go from slow to fast in the rotary FX by pressing on that switch ...

I have a big problem though :
-if, in my PBC, I go to that rotary preset coming from a preset in my PBC with 0.00BPM clock (From the PBC Mastermind , then everything works fine ( I can control the rotary slow and fast with the midi tap tempo switch of the PBC or tap from the Strymon multi for that matter)
But If, in my PBC, I go to the rotary preset coming from a preset with any clock tempo set, for some reason, it disables the tap tempo switch (on the mobius and on the PBC) and if I press the tap tempo switch now , the rotary slow and fast setting doesn't work neither on the PBC or the Mobius itself (I even tried with the Strymon Multi) .
The only thing that will make it work again is to
1-manually press on the preset button to reload on the Mobius rotary preset
2-select a preset on the PBC with no tempo (0.00bpm) first and then going to the rotary preset with no tempo. The tap switch (On the mobius, Multi, or midi) will work again
I have no idea why sending midi clock over midi to another preset will disable tap tempo on that preset? ( Especially since I disabled Global midi clock receive)

Now if I set the Global Midi clock receive to on, it will work but it adjusts to the tempo so I don’t get the Leslie FX If I dont have a tempo set higher then 400 bpm ! and also it puts all the other pedals to a very high tempo unrelated to the song I’m playing . so not very usable

Any Idea?
Thanks in Advance
~Kamil

OK After having searched everywhere I noticed a Beta firmware update for the Mobius which is only available through their beta software called "Nixie"
It read like this:

***Mobius Beta Firmware Rev. 1.29***

What’s new?

• Compatibility with Strymon Nixie preset editor software.
  • Added anti-alias filter to combat noise from devices with internal charge pump components.
  • Added phase reset support for all effect machines via MIDI CC.
  • Changed Tap switch MIDI output to TAP message instead of footswitch message.
  • In BPM display mode, quantize MIDI clock to whole number bpm.
  • Set send current MIDI state on preset change global to OFF by default.
What’s fixed?

• Fix for MultiSwitch LED preset change issue.
  • Improved phase reset behavior.
  • -->Fixed MIDI CL bug when pedal is receiving MIDI Clock.<--
  • Fixed bug where first time through a new midi sync 23 pulses get counted.
So I downloaded Nixie, Updated the firmware and now, all is well and working like it should
Hope this helps somebody else ... it sure gave me a headache ! :)

This sounds like a question for Strymon. I can tell you that when you switch from a preset with a non-zero tempo value to a preset that has a 0 tempo, the MIDI clock will be shut off after the program change is sent. Apparently, the pedal stops paying attention to the fast/slow setting if it receives MIDI clock, even if the MIDI clock stops.

Thank you .. here is another question for you :
I connected my mission engineering sp1-RJM to my PBC and I calibrated it but it seems like the curve of the pedal is not right
When I press the pedal down it goes to 50% on the PBC display while I'm only pressing like 5% of the coarse and after that goes slowly to 100% at full coarse ...
that is not very smooth .. is there a way I can adjust the curve of the pedal ? (either on the PBC or on the pedal itself ? ) actually is that normal behavior ? I'm starting to think the pedal might have a problem ?

It sounds like the pedal might not be wired correctly. That would be surprising, because Mission's quality has always been good. If you have a meter, measuring the resistance between the tip and sleeve, and between ring and sleeve. In a correctly wired pedal, the resistance between ring and sleeve should change as you move the pedal, and the resistance between tip and sleeve should not change. The resistance should increase smoothly as you move the pedal from heel to toe.

Also, the cable could be an issue. It should be a TRS cable, wired normally. With some pedals, you need a cable that swaps the tip and ring on one end, but not the pedal Mission makes for us.

Last edited:
OK I believe there is a problem with the wiring of my pedalboard ... ( I tried by bypassing and going straight from the expression to th ePBC and it seems to work fine ... Will call dave Friedman back ... thanks so much for being so reactive :)

Dave may have swapped the wires in the TRS cable, expecting that it was a standard Mission pedal.

Back