Product idea - MIDI channel expander

tandrewnichols

Maybe there wouldn't be enough demand to make it worth implementing, but I think I useful idea would be a mastermind companion that's a smaller enclosure but has all the existing MIDI functionality of the mastermind series. So sort of like linking two Masterminds together, except that takes up a ridiculous amount of space. I'm thinking something that maybe doesn't even have a button (or maybe just one for configuration, idk). Use case: you're already using 16 midi channels and want to connect to another device or external program through a DAW or something. MIDI only gives you 16 channels, but if you put said expander on one of those channels (let's say channel 16) and it had the same 768 presets, you'd essentially have 35 MIDI channels. Send all your normal messages to channels 1 through 15 and send PCs to channel 16 (probably just the corresponding one - so preset 1 on mastermind says PC 1 to expander) and the secondary device sends out it's separate 16 channel MIDI messages that correspond with that preset.

MIDI 2.0 supposedly will support 256 channels, so maybe I just need to be patient, but there are a growing number of MIDI devices, and sometimes 16 channels doesn't feel sufficient.

That makes sense. It is something that is pretty specialized that probably wouldn't have a large market, but I can see why it would be needed in some cases.

Back