Question about MIDI triggering a note on a Korg Kronos

go2ldook

Hoping someone with Midi background can help me.
I am using a set of Korg PK-5A Basspedals to play my Kronos Keyboard while playing guitar in a 2 piece band. I use it to trigger bass, synth and sample sounds. This is all fine. The Basspedals are operated in Mono Mode such that the note holds until another note is pressed. If I want it to turn off or fade out before another note is pressed, I can use the Vector Control on the Kronos to achieve this. All good.

The odd behavior is when I use my PBC Mastermind to send a note on Command to a the Kronos (in combi mode for anyone who is familiar with Kronos). Sometimes I need to change to a new guitar pedal preset at the same time I should be hitting a note on the Basspedals, so this allows me to achieve that. The note sounds, but unless I use Vector Control, it keeps going when I press a different note. It appears to be an issue with not receiving any note release MIDI signal, but I would think I could simply trigger the same note on the Basspedals and on release it would turn off, but that doesn't happen. The MIDI messages are being sent to Channel 2, whether coming from the Basspedals or from the PBC Mastermind. If I send a different note command from the Mastermind, the prior note will turn off (I always set it up so an "all notes off" command is sent first, followed by the note I want).

I know this is potentially best answered on a Korg forum, but I have posted there and also searched for old posts about this, and found no resolution, so figured I would post here and see if anyone could help.

Make sure you have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change set on those buttons - that will make them send off messages when you change presets.

Will try that later today. Not sure if it will solve my issue. I think this is more a Kronos problem. Typically the note I trigger at Preset change is then followed by a note that I trigger with the Basspedals, not by hitting a different Preset on the Mastermind. So that's the issue...Kronos won't turn off the notes that I trigger with the Preset change. It will turn off the C note, for example, triggered by Preset 1 if I then hit Preset 2 and have it set to trigger a D Note. But if I trigger the C Note with Preset 1, the C Note continues to sound if I return to my Basspedals to play subsequent notes, even if I retrigger the C note, hoping it might send a subsequent "note off" signal on release. Very frustrating.

Back