Question about settin GT22 for Kemper and other gear

Hi, I'm new to the RJM world but I'm not new to the midi world, in the past I had a Voodoo Lab GCP, a Rocktron All Access, and now from a Liquid Foot Pro I am upgrading to GT22. First of all, I'll explain part of my equipment that I have to control:
Kemper Rack (CH1), Whammy IV (CH2), other gear including a TC Helicon Voicelive rack for voice (CH7)

So, Since I have numerous devices besides the Kemper,

1. how is it preferable to program the pedal board? is it better that I use 'Get Preset Names' for Kemper rather than 'Auto Names'? What do you recommend for a more complex instrumentation than just using kemper?

2. I am afraid that when Kemper is disconnected the pedal board will lose the 'auto names' data, am I right to be afraid?

3. with the 2 midi cables connected with kemper and the usb cable to the Computer to program the pedalboard, the software and the pedal board itself sometimes lock (especially when saving)

4. If I use the 'Get Preset Names' can I continue to see the effect blocks colored and change their function based on those set on the kemper or am I obliged to always have the same ones as in global mode?

I assure you that I have read the manual but I did not understand these steps, sorry. Thank you very much if you answer my questions.
Thanks and congratulations for this product that seems to be of quality even for every single switch, cheers

Hi there,

Auto Names makes the GT work more like the Kemper Remote, where it's very dependent on the Kemper to operate. If you're ever going to find yourself not using the Kemper, it's best to avoid Auto Names, or have separate settings files for Kemper and non-Kemper configurations.

I'm not sure about the lockup situation, i have not seen that happen. I will try to investigate here.

Effect Block names and status are separate functions and not really related to how Get Preset Names or Auto Names operates - they will work as long as "Ignore Incoming CCs" is not turned on in the Devices tab.

Hi, thanks for your kind answer

today I have not encountered blocking problems, however one of these days I want to try to update the kemper to the latest firmware, it has been a while since I did it maybe it may depend on that!

However, I encountered another mystery, why if on 'Preset 2nd' I set 'Reload' the state of the AI does not return to the original state when the same preset is pressed again? (I'm using 'Auto Names' mode for Kemper)

is there a way for the pedalboard to recognize the effects block on Kemper and color the IA on the pedal board based on them?
If not available have you ever thought about doing it with one of the next firmware versions? In my opinion it would be very useful to recognize the effects during a concert at a glance

Thanks for your patience

Last edited:
Back