Question about using effects gizmo with 2 amps, and OD pedal

VESmedic

Hey guys, brand new to the forums, and to rjm products. I dont have an effects gizmo yet, however I am planning out my rig, and plan to get one soon. I will be running 2 VHT/Fryette heads ( UL and Deliverance 120) through it, as well as approximately 4 to 5 pedals, and possibly an effects processor. I am a COMPLETE noob to rack gear, so please bare with me :)

My biggest question is, in regards to an overdrive pedal (or any pedal really). Lets say, I want a patch with both amps on, and the overdrive boosting BOTH amps, Or lets say I have another patch, and I want to run both amps, but only ONE of them has the Overdrive through it. How do I wire up the OD to do this? I really can't find the answer I am looking for on this. I'm not quite sure if this is even possible either.

Also, in regards to a rackmount tuner such as the Korg DTR 1000/2000 series: this plugs into the tuner out of the effects gizmo correct? How do I create a silent tuning patch for the tuner out if it's not in a loop? Or is it a loop? Thanks!

Chris

Re: Question about using effects gizmo with 2 amps, and OD p

Hello and welcome!

To get overdrive in front of both amps AND in front of just one amp, the easiest thing to do is have two overdrives. There will be two loops that are used to select which amp(s) are on. Any overdrive that comes before these loops will come out both amps, any one wired after one of the two splitter loops will come out of only one amp.

The tuner out is just a signal split off of the buffer. To get silent tuning you need to use a loop and put a shorting plug into the return of the loop. A shorting plug is a 1/4-inch plug with the tip connected to ground, and it'll cause the loop to output no signal when it's turned on. For best results, put the shorting plug in the last loop's return (so it mutes any noise from your pedals), but run the tuner from the tuner output (so that you get the dirt guitar signal into the tuner without any effects getting in the way).

rjmmusic said:
Hello and welcome!

To get overdrive in front of both amps AND in front of just one amp, the easiest thing to do is have two overdrives. There will be two loops that are used to select which amp(s) are on. Any overdrive that comes before these loops will come out both amps, any one wired after one of the two splitter loops will come out of only one amp.

The tuner out is just a signal split off of the buffer. To get silent tuning you need to use a loop and put a shorting plug into the return of the loop. A shorting plug is a 1/4-inch plug with the tip connected to ground, and it'll cause the loop to output no signal when it's turned on. For best results, put the shorting plug in the last loop's return (so it mutes any noise from your pedals), but run the tuner from the tuner output (so that you get the dirt guitar signal into the tuner without any effects getting in the way).

Thanks for the quick reply! I am still confused however, this is all new to me. I am confused about the last sentence in regards to the overdrive pedal question. So lets say I just wanted one overdrive pedal then to choose between either the UL or the Deliverance? Just wire it up like normal (through any given loop)?

As far as the tuner, that seems to make sense, However, I am not sure exactly what the tuner out is for? I assumed that it would be silent and that IS what it is for? Would it be possible to run a rackmount tuner through one of the loop, having a patch with just that loop, thus silencing the signal? Or does that not make any sense?

It's like the more I learn, the more questions I have...sheesh... :shock: :shock:

Okay, I think What I am going to do, and make this easy, is to have the Deliverance Generally be my "dry" amp, and the VHT UL be my wet amp. However for rhythm, both amps will both be played together, With the Deliverance having a boost on at all times. So heres what I got. I would really like some wiring help. Thanks :)

Rack Units:

Furman Power Conditioner, Korg rackmount Tuner, RJM effects gizmo, Line 6 G90 wireless, ISP Pro G decimator rackmount (stereo 2 channel, 1 for each amp)

Amps: VHT Ultra Lead, VHT Deliverance (NO effects loop ,or channel switching)

Pedals: EVH phase 90, Line 6 DL4 for Delays, H20 Chorus, Holy Grail Reverb, Fryette Boostasio (Comes out tomorrow :D :D :D ) Maxon OD808 (not sure which one will be going into which amp yet, but I'm taking your advice on 2 boost pedals :) )

Okay, this is where you guys come in. For the most part like I said, I would like my UL to be the wet amp when need be, and the Deliverance to be dry pretty much at all times. the Deliverance will have a boost on at all times.

The only time I would like to use the Deliverance with effects, is to possibly get a stereo chorus effect for leads and huge rhythms, and maybe delay at times. What do you guys have for idea for wiring? thanks! I REALLY appreciate all the help guys. I feel RETARDED that someone has to spell this out for me, but it really helps. thanks again!

chris

*EDIT!* I'm sure someone would mention this but: Where does the wireless and the ISP decimator stereo hush come into play? If someone could help me with that to, that would be great!

any help with wiring ideas guys? see post above thanks :)

There are a few problems with what you're trying to accomplish, the main one being that you're using one amp that has an effects loop, and one that doesn't. This makes the Decimator much less effective on the Deliverance (it should be placed right after the amp's loop send to be most effective). Also, it would require you to use your stereo effects in front of both amps, which is possible but generally not the preferred way to do it.

To answer some of your other questions, the wireless unit plugs into the rear input of the Effect Gizmo. The Decimator goes in the amp's effects loop (if the amp has one), and the Tuner Out is just a secondary output from the buffer. You can implement silent tuning by plugging in a shorting plug (a 1/4-inch plug with the tip connected to ground) into the return of one loop. Activating the loop will mute the output.

rjmmusic said:
There are a few problems with what you're trying to accomplish, the main one being that you're using one amp that has an effects loop, and one that doesn't. This makes the Decimator much less effective on the Deliverance (it should be placed right after the amp's loop send to be most effective). Also, it would require you to use your stereo effects in front of both amps, which is possible but generally not the preferred way to do it.

To answer some of your other questions, the wireless unit plugs into the rear input of the Effect Gizmo. The Decimator goes in the amp's effects loop (if the amp has one), and the Tuner Out is just a secondary output from the buffer. You can implement silent tuning by plugging in a shorting plug (a 1/4-inch plug with the tip connected to ground) into the return of one loop. Activating the loop will mute the output.

Thanks, I am sorry to be such a pain, just brand new to everything.

After even MORE thought ( I know, a guitar player NEVER changes their mind about gear or anything :p) I think to simplify my rig even more, I want to get an axe fx, and use that soley for all of my effects needs ( noise reduction, effects, boost pedal sims, everything). This will be with my UL only, as my Deliverance will still be my dry amp.

How does the effects gizmo work with the axe fx? Is the mastermind controller efficient enough for what I would like to do? I've seen the tutorial on youtube with the mark 5 head, the gizmo, and the axe fx. This is basically what I would like to do, however still incorporate the Deliverance 120 in, but again, as a dry amp only. Thanks!

Attached is a diagram that shows how I've done it with the RG-16. The Effect Gizmo would be the same - you still need two loops for the Axe Fx and the rest can be used for other effects. If you connect the send of loop 1 to the Deliverance, it will become a y-splitter of sorts. Activating the loop will send the signal to the Deliverance without interrupting the signal to the rest of the signal chain. Splitting the signal at the first loop will make sure that the Deliverance only receives the dry signal.

Attachments

• RG-16_AXE.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 309

rjmmusic said:
Attached is a diagram that shows how I've done it with the RG-16. The Effect Gizmo would be the same - you still need two loops for the Axe Fx and the rest can be used for other effects. If you connect the send of loop 1 to the Deliverance, it will become a y-splitter of sorts. Activating the loop will send the signal to the Deliverance without interrupting the signal to the rest of the signal chain. Splitting the signal at the first loop will make sure that the Deliverance only receives the dry signal.

What do you mean splitting the signal at the first loop? How would I do that? Your diagram makes perfect sense, thank you. I guess the only thing extra I am wanting to do is have my Deliverance in a loop as well, and activate it dry for certain things...All I would need to do is run a cable from the input to loop 1 of the RG send correct?

Also, one thing I don't understand. If you are running 2 amps with lets say 4 pedals, and you have a patch with both amps on, and lets say 1 effect engaged....How do you route that pedal to go to one amp or the other? or does it go to both?

In the first loop, instead of a pedal, connect the send to the Deliverance's input. Leave the first loop's return open. That'll make it a splitter.

The position of the pedals relative to this split will determine which pedals affect which amps. Anything after the split will affect the Ultralead only. If you move the split loop to a later position, say loop 2, 3, 4 or later, then any pedals before the split will affect both amps.

Back