Question RE: the stereo loops on Effect Gizmo

ringemaster

I've been watching RJM for a LONG time (I think it started at the 2008 NAMM show). Anyway, I'm considering the Effect Gizmo for my next rig, but had a few questions about the stereo loops. Specifically, I've got 3 stereo pedals (Eventide Timefactor, Eventide Space and Strymon Timeline) that I'm interested in having in loops. As I understand it, I would need to use insert cables between the EG and my effects (e.g., a 1/4" TRS on the EG side and 1/4" unbalanced cables to the left/ride ins and outs of the effect units). What I don't understand is how driving two amps is affected by this situation.

Without going into two much detail, my plan is to have the TRS output of the Effect Gizmo go into a patchbox that will then do one of two things:
1) If I only plug in one amp to the patchbox, it will sum the L/R signals of the stereo input into one signal to drive a mono amp (this is to ensure I don't lose half of the effect sounds)
2) If I plug two amps into the patchbox, it will pass thru the L/R signals to the L/R outputs of the patchbox. The patchbox will buffer both signals and isolate the right side so as to prevent ground loops.

Also, the first 8 loops of the Effect Gizmo would be used for pedals before the amp. The 3 stereo effects I noted above would be run in the amp's effects loop.

Based on the above, here are my questions:
a) Will driving two amps in the manner above cause any grounding/hum issues given that I'll be using insert cables for the stereo effects?
b) What kind of level difference would there be, if any, in the amps when changing between a mono amp setup and a stereo amp setup (e.g., in both scenarios, would the 1st amp have the same level, or would the 1st amp drop in level when plugging in the second amp)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi there,

The quick answers are: maybe and maybe. :)

You might run into grounding issues with your second amp. Using ground lifted cables or isolation transformers should take care of it, though.

There might be a bit of level difference between one and two amps, but the volume settings of the individual amps will have way more effect on the overall level than any volume drop caused by splitting the signal. Since (I assume) that you're not going to be switching from stereo to mono on the fly, it should be easy enough to dial the levels in for each setup.

Back