Question regarding copy and preset sequence

seattleguitarist

I have an axe fx ii that i am controlling with the mastermind gt22 and one problem i am having is with the copy function. To begin with i have my pc changes set to sequential as this allows me to cycle through the axe fx presets without skipping any. Now on the the issue - Example: I copy preset #1 on the mastermind to preset #2. On the axe fx itself this means i will stay on preset #1 but may have a different effect and amp y rather than x selected. Now lets say now i want to go to preset #2 on the axe fx... I can't.... because when i hit preset #3 on the mastermind it takes me to preset #3. I am unable to access preset #2 unless i manually go in and change which preset is accessed. This defeats the purpose of choosing sequential pc changes. Is there a setting on the mastermind where it will shift the pc changes sequentially to adjust for a copy? This way i could hit preset #1 and preset #2 on the mastermind gt while staying on preset #1 on the axe fx and then when i choose preset #3 on the mastermind i will get preset #2 on the axe fx keeping it sequential. This is not simple to put into words i hope it makes sense.

I realize that i could address the problem i'm having by using scenes but i cannot get scenes to work properly. When i go from one scene to the next the buttons on the axe fx do not accurately represent the IA switches that are actually chosen once i choose a scene other than the scene 1.

There's no way to shift all presets by one. A feature like this would not really be useful i don't think anyways. Sequential PC changes are a great starting point for a device and the example you've outlined is a perfectly legitimate way to use the GT and customise things the way you want but.... you're definitely better off getting scenes to work properly in this scenario if you don't want to 'lose' that preset #2.

So what's happening with scenes for you? Is it just not updating the IA button's on/off/enabled status or are you getting random on/off for each scene change? I have a GT22/axefx2 setup and it works fine here using 2.0b1 and also before on 1.4, maybe there's some sort of setup issue? Do you have multiple actions assigned to any IA buttons that aren't working correctly? Multiple actions assigned to scene buttons?

Scenes should work - I've worked with a few bands to make sure that they had it working for them. One thing that's important is that "Send Redundant PCs" is turned on on the GT. I can look at your settings if you like.

Having presets automatically renumber themselves seems like it could lead to problems. I'd have to think about it to determine if there was a consistent way to do it - in a way that could be undone.

Glennski - The IA states of the buttons do not reflect the states for each scene. Whatever scene i save last will be what i visually see as far as the the states of the IA buttons on the mastermind. It also seems to randomly turn things on or off. I may choose to have only certain effects on for a particular scene, but when i select that particular scene there will be effects i have not chosen turned on. I do not have multiple actions assigned to scene buttons and all the other IA buttons work as assigned other than when trying to use them with scenes. Cannot figure it out.

Are you using the axe to edit scenes and save them or are you using the 'IA store' function on the GT? I use the former and have no problems but trying to use IA store wouldn't work as you'd expect it to.

I was trying to use the IA store on the mastermind not saving on the axe fx. Are you able to get the IA buttons to display properly in different scenes or is that something that will not happen? If you are getting them to display properly are you using bi-directional communication? I have to turn the bi-directional communication off or else i have IA buttons randomly turning on and off.

I have the scenes working in the manner you suggested Glennski. I think what i was wanting to do is something that can't be done which is have the IA buttons reflect their states per scene. Now that i understand that is not going to happen i can move on. Thanks for the help.

You definitely can have IA states change when you change scenes, but you can't do it in conjunction with IA Store.

The GT / Axe-Fx communication can work in one of two ways:

1). Axe-Fx is the boss
Set your device type to "Axe Fx II" (not slave).
Your Axe-Fx device setting in the GT should NOT have "ignore incoming CCs" set.
Your IA buttons that control the Axe-Fx should have "Send on Preset Change" and "Update on Preset Change" turned OFF
(These last two settings should be set for you, but it's best to be sure)
The IA Store button will not work! You must store your presets and scenes on the Axe-Fx using its store button.
When you switch presets or scenes, the Axe-Fx will report back to the GT, telling it when effect blocks are on and which are off.

2). GT is the boss
Set your device type to "Axe Fx II (slave)".
Your Axe-Fx device setting in the GT should have "ignore incoming CCs" turned ON.
Your IA buttons that control the Axe-Fx should have "Send on Preset Change" and "Update on Preset Change" turned ON
(These last two settings should be set for you, but it's best to be sure)
The IA Store button will work. You can turn on effect blocks on the GT, store them, and the setting will recall correctly
When you switch presets or scenes, the Axe-Fx will not report status back to the GT.
Scenes will generally not work well in this configuration, but you can emulate scenes using the GT's presets.

Check your settings and make sure that they're consistent with #1 above - with that set correctly, your buttons will update when you switch scenes.

Does setting up the Axe Fx as "Boss" mean that i cannot use the midi clock on the mastermind gt? Just want to be sure before i start making the changes.

MIDI clock is a separate issue, and can be configured independently. You can definitely have the Axe-Fx be in control of the IA buttons, but have the GT in control of the clock.

I changed the setting as you stated and the buttons work as you said they would... however i am no longer able to use the midi clock feature. If i turn on midi clock it will not allow me to change pages on the mastermind gt. If i try to change to page 2 it flashes for a second and immediately goes back to page 1. ------- I figured out that if i turn off midi thru that it works properly. The problem is i need to send the midi clock to my tc nova system as well and I need to control the mini amp gizmo. The only way i know to do this is through use of the midi thru on the axe fx. Do you know of a work around for this? After digging further i am now finding that regardless of the midi clock being used or not i have to turn off the midi thru on the axe fx or i get really weird activity (buttons flashing, unable to change pages, etc..).

I just tried turning on the midi thru setting on the axe and not having any problems here. Just to make sure - what is plugged into the back of your GT? Is it just the 5 pin midi cable connected to midi out (plus power cable and expression pedals)? IOW you don't have anything plugged into the 'remote in' ports?

Another thing you may want to consider is that on the non-XL axefx2 the midi thru port is a 'soft' thru, which reportedly introduces around 120ms of lag/delay to the signal which may or may not meet your requirements.

I started over with a blank slate and i now have scenes working properly. I do not have anything other than a 5 pin midi cable plugged into the mastermind gt. I don't use any pedals connected to the mastermind. The only issues i am having now are 1) the midi clock being off. I finally updated to 2.0b2 firmware and what i have noticed is that the higher the tempo the further off it is. If i set the mastermind gt to 84bpm i get 83bpm on the axe fx, if i set it to 100bpm on the mastermind i get 98bpm on the axe fx, 170bpm on the mastermind gets me 167bpm on the axe fx, etc... 2) I cannot get the midi clock thru the axe fx to sync up my TC Nova System. This one is easier to deal with and I will get by manually setting it but it would be nice if i didn't have to. I am so close to perfect control over my setup. :) Thanks for all the help.

Hmm. . .I never got that far into Axe/GT integrataion as I was waiting for 2.0 I use two Axce Fx in my rig and 2 POD HD Pros. With the PODs all works well. I have 4 buttons assigned to FS1-FS4 and if I turn on say FS2 on GT and save preset, when I recall it FS2 is on in both PODS.

On the Axes I use 8 buttons for scenes as a default but can be modified now with 2.0 I may have one button call up scene 2 on Axe 1 and scene 3 on Axe 2. So far I have not needed a button for individual Axe FX effects except boost, as I do most with scenes. I use the POD for effects, as well as multiple Strymon, Pigtronix and EHX pedals in the FX loops, that I want to be able to turn on or off with any scene.

Given that scenario I assume I would want Axe as slave? If I run Axe as slave would I be able to save two presets on GT where they are pretty much identical, just which scene is active one PC is different? Load up same preset but in one example the button that puts both axes on scene 1 is the default, in the second copy both axes are on scene 8?

Thanks!

Ok, I'll look into the thru issue. If thru is on, then the Axe-Fx will send the MIDI clock stream back to the GT. The GT should ignore it when it's a clock master, but apparently it's doing something wrong.

I'll also look specifically into MIDI clock reception by the Axe-Fx - my clock testing was done with other devices.

seattleguitarist said:
I started over with a blank slate and i now have scenes working properly. I do not have anything other than a 5 pin midi cable plugged into the mastermind gt. I don't use any pedals connected to the mastermind. The only issues i am having now are 1) the midi clock being off. I finally updated to 2.0b2 firmware and what i have noticed is that the higher the tempo the further off it is. If i set the mastermind gt to 84bpm i get 83bpm on the axe fx, if i set it to 100bpm on the mastermind i get 98bpm on the axe fx, 170bpm on the mastermind gets me 167bpm on the axe fx, etc... 2) I cannot get the midi clock thru the axe fx to sync up my TC Nova System. This one is easier to deal with and I will get by manually setting it but it would be nice if i didn't have to. I am so close to perfect control over my setup. :) Thanks for all the help.

Is your Axe FX an XL or just an Axe II? The Axe FX does not pass midi clock to it's out/through. Cliff says the II has a "soft" midi through. The XL reportedly has a hardware midi through. I have not had time to test if the XLs pass midi clock.

I am using an axe fx ii. It sounds like i will not be able to have midi clock sent to both the axe fx and tc nova system. At east not if I want the IA button states to update with axe fx preset or scene changes. I tried a midi splitter cable and that did not work.

Back