Questions from a potential user

CBattery

Hi All, First time post!

I'm, considering getting a Mastermind GT-10 but I have some questions. I did search the forums so please be gentle if some of these have been answered already!

For starters, here is my current midi setup:
Strymon Iridum
Disaster Area DPC-4EZ true Bypass Switcher and 4 pedals
Eventide H9
Line 6 M5
Lake Butler MIDI Mitigator as the controller

The MIDI Mitigator is super old ('88 or so) and is starting to show signs of its end of life, so I need a new controller. What I like about the Mitigator is that it is based around songs. It has 5 buttons that can send a combination of PC, CC, Sysex, Note on/off commands to up to 16 devices. It can store up to 127 songs, each song able to have its own commands for each button (think 5 presets per song). I haven't found any other controllers that work exactly like this, but I think the Mastermind GT series gets close, and has plenty of cool features the MIDI Mitigator doesn't. I've been playing with the software and here's what I would like to be able to do.

Have the top 4 buttons be global buttons (anything after "/" is a hold button): Tuner/Bypass Everything, Tap Tempo, Song Menu/Setlist Menu, Bank Up/Page Up
In its default state, the 6 buttons on the bottom be IA buttons selecting different presets on the Iridum, with a page for each amp type (3 pages - Marshall Plexi, Fender Deluxe, Vox AC30)
idZNxAc.png

Question: Can the number of pages be limited, and does clicking page/bank up on the last page/bank start back at the beginning?

In Song mode, retain the top 4 global buttons but have the lower 6 buttons be either all presets, or 5 presets and the 6th button scrolling to another page of presets
BYrDmsL.png

Question: What happens when clicking on a preset button in song mode, does it change the button layout? In the software, it looks like it does as each preset appears to have a button layout
Question: Can I define which preset is assigned to each button in a song? In the software it doesn't appear so, but in youtube videos it does.
Suggestion: In the software, be able to see the board layout for a selected song

Thank you in advance!
Curtis

So I think I've figured some of this out by going down the awesome rabbit hole that is the youtube videos.

I found the page limit in the global settings! Can the global page limit overriden at the song level? Like some songs would have only 1 page of presets, some have two, some have maybe more.

I think I found in the software where at the preset level, you can select "same" for the Show Page setting. By using this, it looks like I could have a song with say 6 presets on the bottom buttons and clicking a preset with "same set" would only perform the PC and CC actions that I want and not change the page, is this correct?

it looks like I can order the presets how I want at least in the preset list at the song level. How is it determined where these are placed? My guess is maybe I start at the preset number 5 so the global buttons remain on the top 4? How would I have the default state show the IA buttons to change the Iridium presets, and then the songs have preset buttons in their place?

The global page limit can't be overridden, it's the maximum number of global pages you're using. The 16 global pages are accessible by every song and every preset. If you're using all 16, you need to keep that limit at 16.

Yes, setting a preset's Show Page setting to Same will keep it on the same button page that it was on prior to selecting the preset.

When you switch songs, the GT will start at the top left of the GT and scan left to right, top to bottom. The first Preset button it finds in the current button page will be assigned the first preset in the current song. The second button it finds in the current page will be assigned the second preset in the current song, etc.

You can override the order that the presets are assigned using the "Preset Index' parameter on each preset button. Set the index to 1 where you want the first preset in the song to appear, set the index to 2 where you want the second preset to appear, etc.

For your last question, you would have 1 button page that's all IAs across the bottom, and another that's all preset buttons across the bottom. You can add a button to switch between the Irididum and preset pages.

I know that this only gets you part way there, but it's a start. I have no experience with the MIDI Mitigator, but it sounds like the way it works is quite a bit differently than our controllers. I'll do my best to help translate what you need into what we have.

Thank you! This helps a great deal and sparked some ideas. I think I've settled on this, please let me know if this would work.

The default pages (limiting to 3 globally) have the first 5 bottom row buttons as the preset type with the 6th being a global for IA mode.

Gt25LYk.png

On each page, the IA mode actions are set to do PC changes on the Iridum - each page being for one of the three amp types.

Mw3zlUI.png

This way I can always have access to just the Iridium when I just want to play using any of my set patches by using IA Mode, and when I create songs, the presets will show up in the order I assign using the preset index.

My last question (for now), will bank up/page up start back at the beginning when it reaches the end?

BTW, as a software and devops engineer for SaaS applications, this is one incredible piece of engineering! My hat is off to you.

-Curtis

Delivered today and and getting it all set up! I have to say it was pretty quick thanks to playing with the software first. It is working just as I had hoped. Thank you for this awesome piece of equipment! I never thought I'd find something comparable to the MIDI Mitigator but this does exactly what I wanted and more!

g1bkVRQ.jpg

Back