Rack Gizmo and MFC-101 controller questions

GuitarMan86

Hi All,

OK, received my Rack Gizmo yesterday and have already unboxed it and wired up the whole thing in the RG16-4 cable method PDF document that Ron sent.

I have the MFC101 controller and I am using the FAS AxeII in the RG with only 4 pedals in Audio loops 1-4. I have the Amp cable in Amp 1 controlling a Splawn QuickRod.

Questions:
1. I also have a Matrix GT1000FX-2U that I am trying to incorporate into the diagram and I am wondering if it is possible for me to insert it into any of the reamining loops? (I was thinking audio loops 5 or 6 in the diagram but it looks as though these are set up for 2 pedals in the amps effects loop if I am reading this correctly?)

2. Proper setup with MFC-101 - I am really unclear what the best method would be to setup the MFC101 to send messages to the RG? I have seen some of the videos with the RG being used with MM etc. but not sure what is the best practice with the MFC101 on this?
a. I will have some 4CM presets setup and only wish to send CC messages to the RG to turn on audio loop 1 with the AxeII in the loop on Splawn OD2 channel as example.
b. Or, have some presets for the Matrix to be on in one of the audio loops and use AxeII presets with amp modeling (and be able to turn on some front OD pedals in loops 1-4 etc.)

I think setup and cabling via the diagram was fairly simple. Manually finger switching seems to be correct so far. Now I just need to be able to program it all! haha

Would love some advice or a finger pointing in the right direction...thanks!

The Matrix should be placed after the Rack Gizmo. You can't put it in a loop like you would an effect because the Gizmo can't handle speaker-level outputs from a power amp - it'll kill the relays for sure. If you want to be able to switch the Matrix on and off, you could just use a loop send to go to the Matrix, leave the loop return open and connect the Matrix to your speaker cabs.

I have not yet used an MFC101, but with most controllers the main question is whether you will be using buttons on the controller as instant access buttons to control individual loops or if you will primarily using the preset buttons to control the Gizmo. The answer to this question will determine how you set up the controller.

Thanks for the response....
So, for the Matrix being stereo could I use two loop sends to turn both on in other words? Then for my Axe II I could use amp model presets and route those to the two loops sends in other words (left and right channels)? I could go out from the Axe II on Output 2 L/R and go into the RG (not sure what jacks here) and then each send (ex. Send 5 and send 6) and my outputs on the Matrix will obviously go to one cab?

I am currently using the MFC101 for presets and not using the IA's with the RG. I will use banks 1-5 for AxeII a model presets and banks 6-10 for the Splawn presets. For the Splawn presets I am using the RG audio loops to kick on pedals for presets only. I found if I turn on the MIDI thru on the Axe II it accepts the write button on the MFC. ;) it is tough for me to use IA buttons for the RG since I am also using the IA default buttons for my Axe presets.

If you're just going Axe into Matrix, you probably don't need to use the RG at all for that part of the rig. Just plug the Axe outputs into the Matrix inputs and program the Axe to whatever you need it to do for each preset - you can even disable the Axe output for a preset if you don't want any output coming out of the wet cab.

The simplest preset setup is to set the Rack Gizmo to the same channel that the Axe is set to. Then you can just select each preset on the MFC and program the Rack Gizmo to turn on the desired loops for each preset.

Ahhh good point....forgot I could just do it with the Axe...thanks!

I actually changed the Rack Gizmo to MIDI channel 2 and the Axe is on 1. I use a preset then hit the loops on the RG that I need on and hit the write button and it saves it to that preset...seems easy enough.

I do notice that when I hit a preset on the MFC101 that the RG switches on the button in the up position rather than when it is pressed down? Not sure I noticed that before.....maybe I'm wrong? Meaning it kicks in when I let go with my foot rather than when stepping on it?

I don't know how the MFC works, but that button behavior would have to be a "feature" of the MFC. Does the controller have a feature where the buttons do something different when the button is held for a length of time? If so, that would explain why it's doing that - it's waiting to see if you release the button quickly or if you're holding it.

I will look into that....some of the MFC101 'features' hehe.... have that capability. The tuner function you can hold for tuner etc. so it is probably 'by design' :)
thanks for the response and help!

Back