Rack/ Pedal board? Best of both worlds...

AlexMania

Hi Ron and Sheri,

I've been working on a prototype that marries the best of racks and pedal boards with as little fuss as possible...Racks rule when it comes to power, expansion, and flexibility. We all know that. They're just a PITA to schlepp. Pedal boards are dead simple to set up.

This is my project in progress. It's way not done, but I have gigged with it and it works great. I started with a SKB case...

case.png

I added some Neutrik jacks (guitar in, guitar out, midi out)

jacks.png

I mounted the mastermind GT actually on the underside of the cover and use the cover as the ‘pedal board’. The guitar goes into a Glab pressure plate (engages the wah whenever I step on it and disengages when I take my foot off, no switching). The wah output then goes into mini effects Gizmo 1. The output of the mini Gizmo 1 goes into a mini effects Gizmo 2, so I have 10 loops to play with.

board1.png

board2.png

The GT also talks to a Rocktron expression pedal, which I use to control some of the Strymon parameters. The cables are a bit of a mess as this is a prototype. The mini effects gizmos control an Ep Booster, two Strymon effects, an echo phonic delay, two Istomp boxes, a tech 21 rotochoir, a green house Golden Throat, and a sonic research turbo tuner. I also still have room to add way more effects and another gizmo. I split the Midi control coming from the GT with a Midi Solutions splitter and also control my Marshall from the GT. Lastly, the whole thing is powered by two CIOKS power supplies.

board3.png

I’m sure this isn’t as ambitious as some, however it works really well for me and is way more portable than a pedal board and a rack. It takes a minute to set up (guitar in, guitar out to amp, midi out to amp, power. Voila. Next steps are to mount the effects a bit more permanently while allowing easy swapping as effects gas comes and goes and to duct the cabling so it's neater.

Best of both worlds!

Hope you all like it.

Hi Ron,

I've been running with my 'best of both worlds' concept and have something that's neater, if nothing else..I realize that what I really want is a two level pedal board. There are things that I need to see, and things that are the silent sentinels, the unsung heroes that I trust to just work, yet don't need to acknowledge or think about. My two mini effect gizmos are like that. Gotta have them, don't gotta look at them.

So I mounted my two power supplies and two gizmos in the underbelly of the beast on a hinged cover.

photo3.JPG

photo2.JPG

This allowed me to hide the cable nastiness and to also be able to quickly open the cover and change effects as the gas comes (which it so often does).

photo1.JPG

Back