Read settings from device and weird text "glitches"

wire_twerp

Hi there
I've been reading my preset and scene names from the FM3 into the PBC and thence from the PBC to the Software Editor.

Some of the FM3 preset names (songs) are replaced by the letter "Q" - upper case q.

Many of the scene names (PBC presets) appear to be truncated by a weird symbol that looks like a grey stack of coins followed by the letter Q.

I've attached a screen shot below...

Please would someone be able to explain the significance of these symbols and changes and how I can avoid them when naming presets and scenes?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 20.21.11.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 20.21.11.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 7
I've recently seen some issues with accented characters in the editor. I haven't figured it out yet. What are the names supposed to look like? Are you using accented or other "special" characters?

Hi Ron
Thanks for your reply.

The names are from the Austin Buddy Live Gold presets which are loaded into my FM3. In some cases, there is a hashtag in the name but in most cases there are no other special characters that I can see. For example, one of the Marshall JMP presets based on OD2 loads fine, but the OD1 version (exactly the same name apart from the numerical change) shows as a "Q".

I haven't posted a pic of the PBC itself, but when the FM3 preset names have been replaced by a "Q" the song name (I'm in preset/song/setlist mode) displayed is a capital Q followed by a lower case u with an umlaut.

It's not a major problem obviously and I can rectify it by changing the names myself but I wondered if it was just me experiencing this or whether there was something odd going in the communication between devices.

Thanks again for your time.

It appears to be something that happens when the name is longer than 15 characters. What firmware version are you running on the FM3? I haven't been able to reproduce this here.

Thanks for the update. Curious.

I'm running the latest version 5.03 and the latest version of the PBC's firmware 4.8.1.

I'm running the MIDI out cable via a Kenton 5-way splitter. I don't know if that would be significant?

Thanks for the update. Curious.

I'm running the latest version 5.03 and the latest version of the PBC's firmware 4.8.1.

I'm running the MIDI out cable via a Kenton 5-way splitter. I don't know if that would be significant?
I wouldn't think that it would make a difference, but it's worth trying a direct connection from FM3 to PBC to see if it helps. Are you running a cable from the FM3 directly to the GT's MIDI input, or is there anything in between?

Thanks Ron! I appreciate the follow up.

ATM, I'm running the MIDI out from FM3 into the splitter and thence to the PBC. I will swap the cables round this evening to get a direct connection into the PBC and see if that helps.

I will report back later!

Direct connection doesn't seem to make a difference.

Some of the presets are bigger than 15 characters and load OK. Some glitches are linked to the presence of = signs or hashtags in the names. Most of the issues are in the FM3 scene names rather than the FM3 preset names.

Back