Recommendations for PC vs CC Control of Midi Device

ColWilkie

I've recently acquired the PBC6X, my first loop switcher! It's absolutely fantastic, and has really improved my setup.

I run most of my pedals in front of the amp, with the exception of a Source Audio Collider which I've placed in the loop. Therefore I'm not utilising the 4 cable setup with the PB6X to save a loop - the Collider will be fully controlled by midi only.

I have tried 3 approaches, and am just wondering what others have done and advise:
1) PC changes, within individual patches saved for each variation of delay and reverb. This also means I require to have a patch defined where both sides of the pedal are in an 'off' state when it's not required.

2) CC changes, with action's defined on each preset to recall with the required state for the delay/reverb (on/off/both on/both off).

3) Page dedicated to the Collider, including bypass controls of each switch, and bank up and down for the presets. I thought this would be the quickest way to setup for each preset - set the state on the page, choose the preset on the Collider and store it to the patch preset. It doesn't not appear to work unfortunately (perhaps trying to send PC and CC messages together, and the latter is being ignored?). I'd hoped that storing from this page would store an IA action down on the preset.

Given I'm running the pedal outside a loop, it does feel like I have an overhead with programming each patch that doesn't use the pedal to recall a PC or CC that sets both sides off.

Any thoughts for improvement? Or do you also feel the CC approach is the most effective?

Thanks in advance!

Any of those approaches are valid, and it's really a matter of personal taste. There's no specific reason that the third option wouldn't work - there's probably just a setting or two that need to be tweaked. If you'd like to post your settings file, I could look at it.

I've already confirmed with Source Audio that option 3 doesn't work. Their pedals require a delay between each MIDI message, otherwise it gets ignored. Really the one thing I don't like about the pedal, as it really hampers MIDI functionality.

I've already confirmed with Source Audio that option 3 doesn't work. Their pedals require a delay between each MIDI message, otherwise it gets ignored. Really the one thing I don't like about the pedal, as it really hampers MIDI functionality.

Ok, thanks, it's good to have confirmation on that.

Doing option 3 with only PCs sounds like it might be possible, since it seems the pedal allows you to save presets with one or both sides disabled. (Maybe? I have not used this pedal yet)

Ok, thanks, it's good to have confirmation on that.

Doing option 3 with only PCs sounds like it might be possible, since it seems the pedal allows you to save presets with one or both sides disabled. (Maybe? I have not used this pedal yet)

Yes, presets store which side/sides are engaged/bypassed.

While I originally wanted to go option 3, I ended up using option 1 due to the stated limitations on using MIDI signals.

Thanks for your replies both, really appreciate it!

So essentially, option 3 would be using a combination of PC and CC messages - hence doesn't work due the lack of delay between messages?

@PianoMan - any reason you went for option 1 over 2? Just quicker to programme I guess?

Thanks for your replies both, really appreciate it!

So essentially, option 3 would be using a combination of PC and CC messages - hence doesn't work due the lack of delay between messages?

@PianoMan - any reason you went for option 1 over 2? Just quicker to programme I guess?

I find changing settings via CC to be incredibly tedious to program and unwieldy to edit on the fly - especially with the number of settings I use. I have around 25-30 presets on my collider, and I use a decent number of them on a regular basis.

I find changing settings via CC to be incredibly tedious to program and unwieldy to edit on the fly - especially with the number of settings I use. I have around 25-30 presets on my collider, and I use a decent number of them on a regular basis.
Thanks, I’ve played around a bit further tonight and feel much the same. That’s going to be the easiest approach for sure!
I take it you’ve just set one patch with both switched off for when it’s not in use?

Thanks, I’ve played around a bit further tonight and feel much the same. That’s going to be the easiest approach for sure!
I take it you’ve just set one patch with both switched off for when it’s not in use?

Nope. I play P&W primarily, so delay is more or less an always on effect for me. I do have a switch with the bypass CC message to allow me to turn it off manually on those rare occasions though.

Back