Replacing stock buttons with taller buttons/switches

luca9583

Just set up my GT-16 today and i'm finding that whenever i go for a button on the second or third row, i almost always hit the button directly below it. I think this is because there isn't much of a slope to the layout of the buttons, which are extremely sensitive. In fact, i can clearly see on the screen that when i hit a higher button, it almost immediately gets "overridden" by my foot making contact with the lower button.

I can see this being quite a big issue, especially since most of my buttons are set up to be presets, and was wondering if i could get some replacement buttons that are taller to eliminate this problem?

We don't have any taller buttons, but it is easy to replace the switches if you do find ones you like.

Some people are lowering the bottom row or rows of switches to achieve the same effect.

One thing we do have now are less sensitive switches, that require you to press the switch all the way to the bottom before they trigger. We can get you those if needed.

rjmmusic said:
We don't have any taller buttons, but it is easy to replace the switches if you do find ones you like.

Some people are lowering the bottom row or rows of switches to achieve the same effect.

One thing we do have now are less sensitive switches, that require you to press the switch all the way to the bottom before they trigger. We can get you those if needed.

Lowering the bottom row sounds like the best bet. Can this be done to a stock unit or do i need to look for shorter buttons? If so, what specs would the buttons need to be compatible?

Yes, there should be two nuts on each switch - one on the inside, one on the outside. If you unscrew the switch you can raise the inside nut which will lower the switch.

Any replacement switches should be momentary. The GT will work with either normally open or normally closed switches, but normally open will probably work better.

rjmmusic said:
Yes, there should be two nuts on each switch - one on the inside, one on the outside. If you unscrew the switch you can raise the inside nut which will lower the switch.

Any replacement switches should be momentary. The GT will work with either normally open or normally closed switches, but normally open will probably work better.

Awesome i'll try this out asap. Just to be safe, can i simply unscrew a switch without having to open up the GT? Thanks a lot Ron!

Do you have the MMGT on the floor? If so, have you thought about putting it on a pedalboard along with other bits of gear? The extra slope that some pedalboards provide may be the reason I don't have the problem you're having.

These are great: http://pedaltrain.com/products.php The 32" model is perfect for an MMGT-22 plus a couple of big Boss LV-500 expression pedals and a wah controller (plus a little leftover space for several small stomp pedals if you wanted).

Or just raise the back of the MMGT with a velcro-ed block of wood?

I like the sensitive switches, wouldn't want to have to really stomp on the MMGT to make it work. It's plenty well-built, but...

You do have to open up the GT to work with the switches. There are 8 screws that hold the top to the bottom - 4 on top, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. The top lifts off, and all electronics are in the top.

boyscout said:
Do you have the MMGT on the floor? If so, have you thought about putting it on a pedalboard along with other bits of gear? The extra slope that some pedalboards provide may be the reason I don't have the problem you're having.

These are great: http://pedaltrain.com/products.php The 32" model is perfect for an MMGT-22 plus a couple of big Boss LV-500 expression pedals and a wah controller (plus a little leftover space for several small stomp pedals if you wanted).

Or just raise the back of the MMGT with a velcro-ed block of wood?

I like the sensitive switches, wouldn't want to have to really stomp on the MMGT to make it work. It's plenty well-built, but...

Thanks for the tips. Yes i've got it mounted on a pedalboard which is flat so i might try and raise the back of the GT with some wood for the extra slope, and shorten the buttons on the lowest row as Ron suggested.

I successfully lowered the switches on the bottom row to their lowest possible height. This definitely makes a difference..thanks Ron!

I still need more slope though so will try and come up with a way of mounting the unit at an angle on a flat pedalboard.

I've been envisioning placing an angled strip of wood under the rear of the GT, and using the screws that hold the rubber feet in place to secure the wood. Haven't built one yet, though...

Back