RG-16 problems with a single channel amp

JimiGuy7

Hi, I recently acquired a Mesa Boogie SOB and, as the title states, it is a single channel amp. What I am wondering is is the RG-16 will still work with a single channels amp? It is not doing a very good job with mine. I am trying to use it to switch through my effects, and it does but, i't won't write. I't won't save anything. I changed my midi cable and triple checked to see that my foot controller was on the right channel. Can anyone tell what to do or what is wrong? I already own the RG-16, so buying the effect gizmo to run my effects is out of the question, as I am not made of gold. If it helps, I was running it with a Peavey JSX. But I did do the whole reset song and dance when i switched amps. I help down function switch 1 when I powered it up and let go when the lights flashed.

Which MIDI controller are you using to control the RG-16?

A quick check to see if your channels are set correctly is to turn on a bunch of loops (more than you'd ever have on in any patch) on the RG-16, then select a preset on the MIDI controller. Some or all of the loops should switch off, depending on how you'd programmed it. If nothing changes, either the MIDI channels are not set right, the controller is not sending program change messages for some reason, the MIDI cable is bad, or there's a problem with the RG-16 or your MIDI controller.

If you happen to have a PC or Mac with a MIDI interface, it would be a great debugging tool for this problem. If you have one, please let me know and I can give you some tips.

I am using a Rolls Midi Buddy, if that helps. Also, can you reccomend something cost effective to purchase for my computer to deal with this issue? I have a PC.

Okay, if you have a MIDI interface for your PC, you need to download MIDI-OX (www.midi-ox.com). Install the MIDI interface (plus any drivers that might be needed), then install the MIDI-OX program. Run MIDI-OX, and select the VIew / Input Monitor menu item.

Plug the interface's MIDI input into the MIDI Buddy's MIDI Output. Now, press the preset selection buttons on the MIDI Buddy several times. You should see messages appear on the screen each time you press a button. If not, there's something wrong. If you do get messages, please post them here and I'll see if they're correct.

Back