Rg16 question(s)? Rack build.

Hey all! I've recently started building a new rack rig and am going to be using an rg16 for switching and pedals. The pieces I have that will be going into the rig are a Mesa Boogie mark IV, engl e530 preamp (possibly depending on answers) gmajor 2. And the rg16 obviously. There will be 2-3 pedals in front of the amp an overdrive, noise gate and possibly a boost. My question/s are what would be the best way to wire all of this up so I can have the best of both the mark IV preamp and the engl while still being able to use effects from the gmajor for either or kind of thing. I guess being able to chose which preamp I want to use while powering it with the Mesa. Sorry if this is stupid questions or really simple and I'm not seeing it. I've done the a/b thing with amps and heads before it not with midi is why I'm so confused I guess. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Put your pedals in loops 1-4, then the Mark IV preamp in loop 5, the Engl in loop 6 and the G-Major in loop 7. The output of loop 7 would go to the effect loop return of the Mark IV. You can then turn on either loop 5 or 6 to select which preamp you're using.

Put your pedals in loops 1-4, then the Mark IV preamp in loop 5, the Engl in loop 6 and the G-Major in loop 7. The output of loop 7 would go to the effect loop return of the Mark IV. You can then turn on either loop 5 or 6 to select which preamp you're using.
Thanks! Does it matter that the mark 4 is the rackmount head version or are you just referring to the whole amp as a preamp?

It doesn't matter that it's rack mount or not. Just connect the RG-16's loop send to the amp's input, and the RG-16's loop return to the amp's loop send. That will connect the amp's preamp to the RG-16. The RG-16's output will then go to the amp's effect loop return (which is the input to the power amp).

Another question. Will I be able to use the channel switching function on the engl e530? Could I run the footswitch to amp2 while the Mesa is on amp1?

Yes, you can connect the other Amp jack to your other amp. If you get a cable that's wired to use switches 7 and 8, you could use those two switches to control the Engl, and have switches 1-6 control the Mark.

So, I finally got it all wired up and got my interface cable. Should I be able to change channels by hitting the buttons on the rg16? Or do I have to use a controller. I have the amp set to footswitch mode and it defaults to the lead channel. Just confused.

Yes, function switches 1-4 on the RG-16 should control the amp channel, and 5 should control loop and 6 should control EQ.

Back