Rig Routing Ideas?

VESmedic

Hey guys. Been posting alot, and I REALLY want to thank everyone for all the help. Being such a noob, I've learned a TON, especially thanks to Ron for taking the time out of his life to help us noobs!

I just wanted to get some ideas from you guys, and to see if I am going about things the right way. At the heart of my rig is an RG-16. My Rig is fairly simple. my "dry" amp, is my VHT Ultralead. My "wet" amp, is my Diezel herbert, or that is the plan anyways. For those unfamiliar, the herbert has 3 loops, 1 serial, 1 parallel, and 1 switchable (aka, the serial/parallel are always "on" while the switchable, is midi switchable on and off) I use an ISP rackmount noisegate, each amp gets one channel. So the Ultralead is set on series loop gets one channel, and the herberts serial loop gets the other channel of the noise gate. I am kind of up in the air on effects processors at this time (axe fx standard, g major 2, g force etc) however, Only the herbert will have the effects. This is where my first question comes in:

Is there really any reason for me to run the effects processor into the RG-16? My logic is, The herbert is already midi capable, and its effects loop design is pretty ingenious I think. The plan was to put whatever effects processor I decide on in the parallel loop, on at all times. If I want just a "dry" herbert tone (my rhythm tone is both amps running together, both dry) I would set a midi patch with the effects processor dry. Does this make sense? Instead of cluttering up my RG-16 with the effects processor, there's really no need I think. Also, running in a parallel loop works best I think because the only real effects I use are delays, alittle reverb, etc, effects that "supposively" sound best in a parallel loop. Again, the only times I really use effects is with clean tones, and leads. Both of my bands are pretty much straight up metal, not much clean really :D.

The only pedal I run is a maxon OD808 in Loop 1, boosting both amps pretty much at all times, that is it. My Rig will be completely controlled with a Ground Control Pro.

Also in my rack is a line g 90 Wireless. Am I right in thinking that That the Line 6 wireless's out plugs into the back of the the Rg-16s input correct? I assume the g90 already has a high quality buffer, so there would be no need to use the RG-16s, or is that wrong?

So in summary: 2 amps, one wet, effects processor in my "wet" amp, not in the RG-16. Basically the 2 amp 4 pedals diagram on the RJM website, minus the effects processor in the RG-16. Does this sound alright? I am about to start making cables using the planet waves cable station, and I would really hate to start doing all of this, only to find out what I am doing won't work. Thanks again guys, Sorry for the lengthy post!

Chris

That should be fine - no need to switch the processor with an RG-16 if your effects loop is good.

As for the RG-16's buffer, you don't need it with a wireless, but I'd try it with and without the buffer and just use whichever sounds better (any difference will probably be very slight).

Ron as always, THANK YOU!!!

One thing I forgot. So I have 3 midi devices: rg16, effects processor, and diezel herbert. Each one goes on a different channel on the ground control pro right? I am kind of confused how all 3 devices should be connected. What should the midi pedal connect into? What goes midi thru to what? That's what I'm gettiing at, sorry if I'm not being clear. Thank you!

With MIDI routing, device order usually doesn't matter (particularly if you're only talking 2 or 3 devices). They should all see the same information, and just filter out the bits they need.
It's probably best to assign each device to a dedicated MIDI channel, yeah, particularly if you're going to use any IA or CC commands. It is possible to run them all on the same channel if you're just sending program changes, but it increases the risk of things getting confused. Doesn't matter which device is on which channel.

MartinCliffe said:
With MIDI routing, device order usually doesn't matter (particularly if you're only talking 2 or 3 devices). They should all see the same information, and just filter out the bits they need.
It's probably best to assign each device to a dedicated MIDI channel, yeah, particularly if you're going to use any IA or CC commands. It is possible to run them all on the same channel if you're just sending program changes, but it increases the risk of things getting confused. Doesn't matter which device is on which channel.

okay, thanks Martin! Basically, my plan was to setup the ground control pro to have all presets. I really didn't have any plans to do an IA switching/CC messages, as the herbert doesn't respond to those anyways. Plus, I don't really have a ton of pedals obviously, so I figured, just setting up 5 or 6 presets (1 or 2 cleans, 1 or 2 rhythms, and 1 or 2 leads) would probably be the best for my needs, and until I am more comfortable with midi.

Okay, so you said the order doesn't matter correct? I am still kind of confused on how to hook all 3 up though! what goes midi through to what, midi in to what? etc? Kind of confused with that. Would The GCp plug into the RG-16s "midi in", and then the RG-16 midi thru/out to Diezel herbert midi in? then herbert midi thru/out to effects processor midi in etc? Thats the part I am not sure about, thanks!

You've got it correct. MIDI controller output to 1st MIDI device input, 1st MIDI device thru to 2nd MIDI device input, 2nd MIDI device thru to 3rd MIDI device input, etc. The order doesn't matter.

Back